Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was bored while visiting family so i decided to remove the foam baffle in the intake that ive seen a few people on here do. I must say this thing is bigger than you think from pics lol. Anyways on the drive home my MPG gauge increased 1.1mpg and i can tell a noticeable difference in throttle response. I only thought this mod was good for a lil more whistle from the turbo but now it turned into a nice free mod :hyper:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Let us know after driving for a while if it really does help (hand calculated).
Any tests I've done in the past on my 03 lowered my mpg by deleting the baffle. The air filter helped, but taking the baffle out made the air spin the same direction as the turbo all the way up the intake. This made the turbo louder, but less efficient since it cant grab as much air when the air is turning the same way as the turbo. I don't see why the 6.7 would be any different, but time will tell. Let us know after some more driving. Thanks!
Garry

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Doing this mod did nothing for my mileage. Glad it helped you......

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let us know after driving for a while if it really does help (hand calculated).
Any tests I've done in the past on my 03 lowered my mpg by deleting the baffle. The air filter helped, but taking the baffle out made the air spin the same direction as the turbo all the way up the intake. This made the turbo louder, but less efficient since it cant grab as much air when the air is turning the same way as the turbo. I don't see why the 6.7 would be any different, but time will tell. Let us know after some more driving. Thanks!
Garry
So the 03s had a baffle in the intake tube or are you referring to the silencer ring. If so these 6.7s have a baffle and a siincer ring, i just removed the baffle. I will keep everyone posted, also my overhead is only off by .2mpg from my experience.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also just removed my baffle only, havent noticed anything different yet . Has anyone removed the silencer ring on there turbo yet? I was thinking about it, if so did it help your milage?

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
No it doesnt help anything but noise, but is pinned in, you will have to drill it out. Also most that have done it have claimed a loss in power afterward. It has a more important function on the VGT turbo.

·
On a new learning curve!
1,053 Posts
I removed my baffle and now I'm baffled. No more noise than when stock. I then put in an AMSOil EA106 nanofiber airfilter for an 07 5.9. Still no noise. I think mine is just shy. I've only put 4 miles on it since though and I will give details on MPG later. I've hand calc. every tank since new and I'm telling ya there have been toooooo many tanks of fuel for 7500 miles!!!!

·
Registered
473 Posts
The 03's had the crosshair style baffle and the silencer ring. Removing the baffle did hurt my fuel economy. The inefficiency of the turbo made more turbo noise though. I don't mind noise, if it's for the better, but not if it decreases performance.
Garry

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I pulled the baffle today just to see if there is a difference. I really did not notice much more noise from the turbo. It might make more noise once I hook onto a trailer though.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Rock,

If you have the baffle out dude, get you the 5.9 cummins air filter and these two mods together will help you dude. That or get you one of the cold air intake systems.

When you get her out on the road and stand on her a little she will wake right up :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I didn mine and put the 5.9 filter in her and it does sound better. I bet a intake would sound awsesome but I am in dusty conditions alot.

·
Where's my sparkplugs????
1,046 Posts
Did the same thing, didn't get any increase that I could see. Just made the whistling sound a little louder.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I also just removed my baffle only, havent noticed anything different yet . Has anyone removed the silencer ring on there turbo yet? I was thinking about it, if so did it help your milage?

I removed my silencer ring the other day, It made my turbo a little louder but not like I thought it would.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Rock,

If you have the baffle out dude, get you the 5.9 cummins air filter and these two mods together will help you dude. That or get you one of the cold air intake systems.

When you get her out on the road and stand on her a little she will wake right up :)

I tried a new air filter today...big difference! My truck was smoking out the tail pipe when under full throttle...now it is getting more air and it is smoking less...and accelerating a lot quicker. Next mod...egr delete...as soon as I get new gaskets I am going for it. From what I hear it won't smoke any more after that mod...unless you can add more fuel say with an MP-8 stacked...:peelout

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Oh and you CAN hear the turbo...mostly when it is echoing off of buildings and parked cars. I can not hear it when I am going down the highway with the windows up.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Just a stock 5.9 replacement filter is much thinner than the stock 6.7 filter. That's what I have been running but I just picked up an AFE replacement filter and that will be going in this weekend.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts