Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Had to replace my oem intake pipe on the afe airfilter because of a crack, replaced it with a 5.5in Aluminium pipe. Love the sound, but i noticed it gets 10-20 degrees hotter then usual... When towing the intake temp reached 107degrees on a 55* day!!

So i wrapped the exhaust manifold with fiberglass roll, seemed to help 2-4 degrees, but still hotter then usuall. As on a 50* day the intake temp could be 70-75 and towing in the 100s..

CAIs are all metal tubing usually so i dont understand how they dont heat up sence there right next to the manifold?

What can i easly do for improvement?

Should i wrap more of the exhaust and maybe the heat guard? Should i put a layer of wrap over the metal piping? IDEAS!

Thanks again and sorry for such a stupid question!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I use the stock rubber elbow. My intake temp today was 12 degrees above the outside temp. A number of aftermarket intakes will actually hurt your mpg and power so be careful what you buy.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I thought most intakes are plastic for just that reason. (not including the cost of metal vs plastic) The thermal properties of plastic are better. Ther metal you put on absorbs more heat which inturn heats up your intake air. And the plastic sheds the heat better. I'm sure some one can explain that better but theres a red neck answer anyway. I would change your intake tube to pvc.

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,803 Posts
if you'd pick something with a lower thermal conductivity.... of all the metals you could have chose, you picked aluminum, which has the highest coefficient of thermal conductivity, meaning it'll change temp the fastest when heat is applied near it.

Mild steel or a piece of stainless the same shape/size should lower the temps some.

Reactions: runninlean

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
where do you have your air intake temp probe?

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,803 Posts
Okay thanks for the info!

So do you think i should just wrap the pipe?
wrapping the pipe will lower the thermal conductivity so it'll be closer to ambient temps. If cooler air temps are what you're looking for then wrap it to get them down a bit more.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sweet thank ou for the help sir!

And i get my intake readings from the EDGE so who knows how accurate it really is...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.