Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering what guys with mega cab srw think of them in the mud. I'm concerned that with the longer wheel base they may not be real good. Let me know what everyone thinks.

·
f7u12
2,295 Posts
uhhh, physics 101. shorter wheel base and/or lighter will most likely be better in the mud

·
Registered
779 Posts
Buy a gasser, like a jeep or power wagon for mud. The diesel won't do you any favors.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Buy a gasser, like a jeep or power wagon for mud. The diesel won't do you any favors.
:agree2::agree2:

All that weight means you'll sink.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the smartallic replies. I use my truck feeding cattle and take on trips and such so was seriously wondering. I had a quad cab and due to an accident totalled it last week. After settling with insurance I'm looking at new trucks. So far the only truck I can find equipped exactly like I want is a mega so I was wondering what experience people had with it in mud.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Thanks for the smartallic replies. I use my truck feeding cattle and take on trips and such so was seriously wondering. I had a quad cab and due to an accident totalled it last week. After settling with insurance I'm looking at new trucks. So far the only truck I can find equipped exactly like I want is a mega so I was wondering what experience people had with it in mud.
If that's what you use the truck for, then I would get the mega. I would put a good set of tires on it like the Trail Grapplers & would be good to go. I just put a set of 295's Trail Grapplers on mine & love them!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
779 Posts
You should have been more specific as to what you were asking. When you say mud and don't explain yourself it sounds like your talking about going muddin. If your driving across a muddy field it doesn't matter if it's a crew or mega. If it does than you should be in a substantially lighter vehicle set up for the situation.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hey, no smart a$$ reply here!? I just got a new 2011 Megacab Laramie when I got back from Iraq and rigged it up with deletes, a Black Maxx, and a Carli 2.0 suspension, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers and a Leer topper. It may not be as easy as a Jeep in the mud but you will definitely look GREAT if you get stuck!! Oh and my wife drives a Jeep, but she doesn't get to drive my truck. All kidding aside I would not trade my Megacab for anything and this is the third Dodge Cummins I have had and the very best one yet! Seriously, go big or go home!!! Just kidding, get what you want but unless you are going through stuff that is feet deep I would not worry, just get some momentum going before hitting it or get some serious mud tires and a winch.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I was going to say with a Megacab there is more to wash the mud off of. But since you don't want smartallic answers I won't. You say you are feeding cows with it so I am assuming you are throwing roundbales or idiot blocks in the bed? The mega only comes with a 5.5 ft bed but a crew cab you can get a 6.4 ft bed or 8 ft. The 8ft would of course haul more and be the same wheel base or close as the mega. Go crew with 8 ft bed. The crew has plenty of cab space.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I was going to say with a Megacab there is more to wash the mud off of. But since you don't want smartallic answers I won't. You say you are feeding cows with it so I am assuming you are throwing roundbales or idiot blocks in the bed? The mega only comes with a 5.5 ft bed but a crew cab you can get a 6.4 ft bed or 8 ft. The 8ft would of course haul more and be the same wheel base or close as the mega. Go crew with 8 ft bed. The crew has plenty of cab space.
the mega comes with the 6.4 ft bed. the megas room is unbeatable!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Yep, mega and crew have the same bed. The crew just has the long bed option. Of course, if you need more bed room you could always do a long bed conversion to a mega . I would do that before I went without the mega. Once you have a mega everything else just seems way too small.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Was wondering what guys with mega cab srw think of them in the mud. I'm concerned that with the longer wheel base they may not be real good. Let me know what everyone thinks.
Mega is the same (about) as a QCLB. And for what it matters, I don't think 6-12 extra inches of WB is gonna make a hill of beans for what you do.

FYI the mega is not the longest dodge, the CCLB is. The cab is 6 inches shorter but the bed is 18 inches longer.

Now you said that you would be using the truck for trips also, if you have kids or people that will be traveling in the back seat there is no beating the comfort of the Mega.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yep, had a brain fart and was thinking qaud cab versuses crewcab

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a mega cab dually with the factory off road tires (there words not mine) but I have had to go across some muddy fields a couple times with a loaded trailer and it seemed to stay on top of the ground pretty good not even in 4x4. And the mega seems to ride better than the crew cab and it turns sharper also and it will ride like better once you load it down a few times.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
The real answer is this
both wheel bases can either help you or hurt you. it depends on each situation and where the mud is in reference to where your axles are if this makes any sense to you
an example would be this. driver a gets stuck with his shorter wheelbase truck but driver B did not get stuck in his longer wheelbase truck because while his rear tires were in mud he was able to get traction with the front tires where driver A's wheelbase was not long enough to do this. and it works both ways. You can always put aggressive tires on either truck and add lockers if needed

·
MOOB ADMIRER!
2,452 Posts
I like my single cab short bed GMC 1500 for mudding. :D

All kidding aside, it really doesn't matter, just get some A/T's or mud tires on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts