Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
12,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm curious if anyone has seen any decent looking pipe racks on a mega cab. I'm thinking about building one with an integrated headache rack and more tie down locations. It seems like the stock ones are never in the right place, and I just haven't seen any good looking ones on a mega cab. I think the over hang over the cab needs to go all the way to the windshield, if it stops before that I think it is going to look bad. But I wouldn't mind seeing what others have done. And hearing suggestions. Or if there is one out there that already looks good, I might go that route too. But pictures and ideas anyone?

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
KargoMaster with independent headache rack works awesome I'll take some pictures when I can.

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
12,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I'd appreciate that, how easy is it to remove the rear and how much can it support? I'd also be curious if it interferes with a tonneau cover at all in terms of mounting

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Yes would interfere with tonneu cover. I packed miles of 4" sched 40 and 80 on my 97. I have the original rack on my 2011, but only used for toys and lumber for myself. No more for work on my 11.

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
12,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, but not at those price tags, the ones like that that i've seen are stupid expensive i can build one myself for the price of steel and paint, so i'm leaning that way, i've got a design going around in my head so i might just have to start building it this week so i can use it. lol

·
Registered
423 Posts
Keep us updated. Can't wait to see a drawing.

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
12,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll post one up tonight, i have a rough sketch that i did after several beers this weekend, figure this week i'll take some measurements and make a better drawing at that point so i can figure out the amount of steel i'll need

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
12,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
well got around to doing a couple more sketches. I'll let you guess which one was from heavy drinking this past weekend and which ones were done during light drinking last night. lol On the rear i'm thinking of doing louvers to help protect the glass and block sunlight while still letting me see, and leave that opening between the two for my center window

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hows the front going to be supported? What would you use the top rack for? Great design.

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
12,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mostly it will be PVC, occasionally some steel pipe, but not to often, maybe some long pieces of stainless on occasion. But most of the time, 10 foot lengths of PVC or whatever else i need. the front will be welded to the rear using 2" 1/4 wall steel square tube (might come down to 3/16 depending on availability) The bolted to the bed. If i bring it back to not cover the cab, i think it will look bad, and if i make just a headache rack i'd be worried about bends in the PVC and breakage. and i want to be able to slide it forward so i can load tall items in the bed, so on the rear the cross member will swing open and closed. Probably do something in the triangle up front to add some lights because i love ginger bread.

I've got a buddy who can throw it into a program and find out the limits of the design, might be worth giving him some beer and telling him to go to town lol

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
12,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So a little update here, got some quotes on steel, i was thinking 2x2 1/4 for it, but looking at pricing i'm debating about 3/16 and 1/8 wall as well. Should shave some weight and bring the price down. Its about $80 cheaper to go with 3/16, and another $90 cheaper to go with 1/8 inch walls. i'm wondering if at what point do i start losing to much strength, being that there is a decent amount of overhand here. given they won't be supporting much weight, but i don't want it to fail if i throw a large section of pipe on there. leaning towards 3/16 as it should give me a good balance of price, weight and strength, but also would like some outside input. thanks guys

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
12,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wan't to be able to side load and unload the rack. the racks like that are really not that great at that, you can slide stuff in from the back, or drop stuff if you roll it off of a forklift. Being that i will deal with fragile specialty stainless and PVC screens, i don't want to have to complicate it at all when it comes to handling. Also, the cost of the steel is going to be less then or comparable to those, and then it's just my time to make a heavier duty custom version.

And in other news i ordered some blades for the horizontal bandsaw i picked up for a screaming deal. Jet 5x7 for a price that astounded me when they accepted it. Looks like this will be the first time i don't have to make my cuts with a chop saw and torches. Looking forward to it, and steel is ordered. went with 3/16, should be plenty strong

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
12,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For anyone building a headache rack, and since i forgot my notebook to right this down, to get the angle of the verticals to look decent with the angle of the cab, 20 degrees is your number. also, i'm kicking myself for not buying a band saw sooner, they are stupid convenient to have and use and so much easier then a chop saw. I'll be having some pictures soon, making pieces in my spare time at work so whenever i have some time i'm working on it. hopefully most of it done within the next week or so. just depends on how busy we get. Makes me wish i had my shop wired already so i could just do it all at home...

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
12,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
a little progress for anyone still following. making the over the cab cage right now, tomorrow i get to spend some time grinding and welding and getting it all together, then mounting to the bed structure and finishing the side structure over the bed for the last bit of reinforcement. then from there ill be able to put the tie down locations on and paint her up. Oh and build the headache rack as well. I just wish i had more spare time to really do all this fabrication. or that my shop was wired up so i could do it at my shop instead of going into work and doing it at work. but such is life here at some pics of where it is now.

the square for over the cab is fully welded and ground, the pieces on the side are mocked up and will be the side uprights. I'm also thinking i'm going to through some expanded steel in the section that will be closer to the bed, so i can use it to throw things in, like a cooler, or tie downs, and be able to keep it out of the bed and keep the bed open. guess i'll see what i have for expanded steel laying around when i get to that point. hopefully i won't have to get any....but here are the pics...

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
12,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
well, as expected, we got slammed this summer and didn't get a chance to work on this at all. However, this last week i had some more time and got it pieced together, then placed on the truck for a test fit. Just need to built the rear cross support and up rights, and then the head ache rack Plans changed in the interest of not over complicating this. But after building all the pieces separately, then putting them together everything matched up. I put it on the truck with help from a buddy this weekend and everything worked out. So if anyone is still watching this, i got a heater going in the shop right now and I'll be heading out to work on it a little more today, we will see how much i can get done today. Still planning on louvers for the headahce rack so that will be time intensive, the rest should almost snap together once everything is cut to length

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Loki, Nice work but I am really wondering how much wind/sound vibration you're going to get with that crossbar so close to the roof of your cab at the very front. I found that they either have to be back at least 13 inches or forward at least 16 in front of the top window trim. Maybe you will be OK I don't know but this has been an issue on a lot of people's racks.

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
12,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks, at this point in it luck isn't a key factor, lol. time and materials are. Did get some more done today, but to lazy to take pictures.right as i was thinking "this will be the last weld of today" i ran out of wire. So turns out that will be the first weld tomorrow or Thursday depending on which day i end up with time to work on this. We have a full flatbed showing up tomorrow so my morning will be putting that away followed by possibly deliverying some of it. then going out and getting more wire, once i have the wire i can go to town welding in the last bit, then it's grinding with a flappy disc to make some of the visual stuff more pretty and then figuring out what i'm going to do about paint/coating. If i don't have to many interruptions this week i could very well be making that decision friday

1 - 20 of 88 Posts