Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I had a problem with the wires from my fan clutch getting cut. I tried the Flex-a-lite 264 kit, but it turns out that I tow too much for them.

I have seen where a few people on other forums that had dropped a Common Rail in a Ford had used the fan clutch off of a v10 bolted to a fan off of a 7.3 powerstroke. I couldn't find anyone that had done it on a dodge, but I saw a few people talk about it.

I figured that I might as well give it a try.

By jager000 at 2011-07-21

The fan is off of a 2001 Ford 7.3. I picked it up from Rock Auto.

The clutch is from a 99 Dodge V10. I got this from NAPA

They bolt together like they are meant for eachother.

And it fits right on the front of the Cummins.

I picked up a used fan shroud from a 2002 F-350 off of ebay.

It took a little trimming, but it fits nicely now.

I had to make some mounting tabs for the Ford shroud. I'll have to get pics later because it was getting dark. The total cost was about $185.

I'll post some impressions in a couple of weeks after I tow and see how it fares.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Awesome write up. I had heard of this too glad some one on here tried it. Definitely need a report on towing performance. But again good write up with the pics and all :thumbsup:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for documenting the legwork needed. Looks good.

My only concerns would be 1) is the 7.3 fan performance on par with the factory fan for the bad- cummins? The latest 7.3 was no slouch in hp/tq so rejected heat was high - which MAY be a good thing. 2) what is the lockup temp on that V10 clutch? THIS may need to be addressed as the operating points for that hoss gasser may be different than that of the 5.9 cummins.

When I had a GM 6.5 I took a factory HD mechanical fan clutch and re-positioned the tang on the bimetallic coil to obtain a quicker lockup.

3) the cooling system is designed so tight from the factory that dodge even went with an engine-mounted shroud to provide consistant cooling performance. This may have been traded for fan absorbed hp, etc. I just wonder how that variable will play out with your new setup.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Your concerns are valid. Even though some guys with Cummins powered Fords seem to not have issues with this setup, I'm not 100% sure that this setup will work for us.

What encouraged me to try this is I know a couple of people with late 7.3s and those trucks seem impossible to overheat. But the stock cummins fan is a couple of inches bigger than the 7.3 fan so that concerns me. And the 3rd gen radiator is kind of puny IMO. The 7.3 radiator is about 3" wider.

I had thought about the lockup temp being adequate. I'm going to strap 10K to the back om my truck next week and take it up a looooong grade to see what happens. If I think that it needs to be adjusted I may hit you up for advice BobT.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Ok, so I had a problem with the wires from my fan clutch getting cut. I tried the Flex-a-lite 264 kit, but it turns out that I tow too much for them.

I have seen where a few people on other forums that had dropped a Common Rail in a Ford had used the fan clutch off of a v10 bolted to a fan off of a 7.3 powerstroke. I couldn't find anyone that had done it on a dodge, but I saw a few people talk about it.

I figured that I might as well give it a try.

By jager000 at 2011-07-21

The fan is off of a 2001 Ford 7.3. I picked it up from Rock Auto.

The clutch is from a 99 Dodge V10. I got this from NAPA

They bolt together like they are meant for eachother.

And it fits right on the front of the Cummins.

I picked up a used fan shroud from a 2002 F-350 off of ebay.

It took a little trimming, but it fits nicely now.

I had to make some mounting tabs for the Ford shroud. I'll have to get pics later because it was getting dark. The total cost was about $185.

I'll post some impressions in a couple of weeks after I tow and see how it fares.

Why the need for the Ford fan shroud, if the Cummins fan is bigger.

Nice Job!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've always thought that a shroud was supposed to fit snug around the fan for efficiency reasons. Maybe somebody could clarify if that matters?

But it didn't matter, I gave away my old shroud like a dummy.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Yea the shroud should be snug around the fan so it creates more of a pulling effect with the air and makes it suck through the coolers better. Now depending how much bigger the Cummins is it might not matter if its changed or not.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Very nice writeup. Do you notice any more fan noise compared to the stock setup

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Sounds good man. Hope it works well for you

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Update

I did some light pulling this weekend. I did go up some long grades, but really this load was nothing to truly test it. No problems thus far though. The clutch seems to come on about right.

One thing that I expected but hadn't previoulsy mentioned was that untill your truck is warmed up, your AC will not work when you are standing still. There is no air running accross the condenser. Once the truck is at at operating temp the fan seemed to move enough air to keep me cool.

I plan to haul a good size camp trailer Friday up some hills. I will post on how that goes next week.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, here is an update:

My travel trailer is about 8000 pounds loaded. I pulled it up a long grade today. I pulled it hard trying to get it hot, but it never got above 210.

It looks like this is going to work for me. About the only time I run it harder is when I pull that trailer accross a sandy beach in 4-lo when it's 100+ out. I wont be doing that again for about a month, but I'll post an update when I do.

It's not really an issue for me, but if you had a lot of stop and go traffic, the AC not working when the truck wasn't moving or warmed up would be annoying. It doesn't take alot of air moving accross the condeser to get it cooled. I was thinking that a small electric fan rigged to come on with the AC would be an easy fix. I may work that up one weekend when I get bored.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Subscribing

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ok, here is an update:

It's not really an issue for me, but if you had a lot of stop and go traffic, the AC not working when the truck wasn't moving or warmed up would be annoying. It doesn't take alot of air moving accross the condeser to get it cooled. I was thinking that a small electric fan rigged to come on with the AC would be an easy fix. I may work that up one weekend when I get bored.
BUT....you did say that when the truck was up to operating temps, then the fan was engaged? So in reality the AC would be working? I am on my second new fan clutch FROM Mopar and am NOT happy about it. This is next in line. I guess the AC thing is not a big deal. Did you notice any changes in milage with it? Thank again. This may be the fix I needed!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not even close. The electric clutch is much bigger than the v10 clutch. And it uses 6 mounting bolts compared to the 4 on the v-10/7.3.
JUT a thought...WHAT about taking the stock fan + marker + Drill press + patience....Do you think it would be possible to et the stock fan ON this clutch? Or will it just NOT work? Just a thought here.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
How about specs on fan blade tip to shroud? 1" ? Less?

I appreciate the time and effort involved, plus the reports. Please keep them coming.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts