Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, every once in a while when i go to start my truck itll just crank over and i turn the key back and go to start it again. some day itll happen a couple times the the next day it wont happen at all. i called the dealership and they said they never had this happen to them before, and they would need my truck all day to see what may be wrong. anyone no what may be wrong or is this just somthin that just happens with these trucks. thanks

·
Registered
443 Posts
Could it be the Cam Sensor located on the Crank? If that isn't getting the proper signal to the ECM, it might not start. Do you have any bad or broken wires? I remember on earlier 3rd gens that a wire that runs close to the A/C compressor some times rubs up against it causing it to short out.

Any codes at all when it just cranks and doesn't start.

Does it do it more often after the truck is warmed up or just randomly does it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah it happens when the truck is warmed up. i havent seen any broken wires gut ill take another look

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i looked agian and i couldnt see any broken wires

·
Registered
49 Posts
i am haveing same issues.. i am going to try starting it with jumper cables a few times for the heck of it...

·
Registered
443 Posts
With it mostly doing it after truck is warmed, I guess that might rule out a fuel issue. I would think if fuel related, like it was draining the fuel back, that it would happen all the time.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Might just need flashed, my 06 just randomly would not turn over whether hot or cold or whatever. Took it in and had it flashed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
There's a TSB out there for long cranking periods. I would have to look it up to find the exact number, but thats where you should start, don't expect the dealer to know all those very well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
TSB for long cranking periods is 18-003-06, affected 05 and 06’s. Have Underwood’s reflash you ECM, they can run your VIN to check for other updates too. If your ECMs never been reflashed/updated theres probably been a few updates since new.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yep i took it in and they got it fixed up. thanks guys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts