Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When ever i accelerate from a stop, or if i turn the steering wheel all the way, i feel a thud, knocking on the bottom of the truck, I'd describe the feel and sound as if someone is hitting the bottom of my truck with a mallet, and it feels as if something in the rear end is slipping and not grabbing right away. I'm not mechanically gifted, and i don't know much about cars, but a few of my friends think the problem has to do with either the carrier bearing, u-joints, or the rear end. A friend told me that when looking at the drive shaft, when I go from park to drive and reverse, the drive shaft will turn 180 degrees before the truck starts moving, so i'm guessing that there's a lot of play in the drive shaft. The thud/knocking sound doesn't happen when the truck is cold, and it gets worse when driving up and incline. Does anyone know what the problem could be, or maybe suggest the best way to troubleshoot this problem? My truck is a 97, 2 wheel drive, automatic, club cab. Thanks so much for the help

William D

·
Registered
836 Posts
180* befor the truck moves :shock: climb under the truck with it in nutral(sp) with the parking break and and try to wiggle the drive shaft and spin it to see it its just a lose/toasted pinoin bearing but form the sounds of it you probibly need new gears in the rear end.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts