Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone remember the maximum amount of boost a stock turbo in my '02 can handle?

·
Registered
14,900 Posts
There isn't a magic number where the HX and HY will go poof and blow up. Its more a gamble with reliability issue. There's guys who chance spinning them up around 40 psi or more but not only are they gambling with barking and snapping the impeller shaft, the turbo is also far out of its mapping range, creating more heat than its doing good. The safe and reasonable boost numbers for the HY is 30 psi and 35 psi for the HX.:thumbsup:

Reactions: bobwall3

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I meant to say the maximum safe psi recommended but you answered that too. I have the edge juice with attitude now and I set a limit of 34 and it hits maximum often. I think I need bigger better turbo.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can get a bit more use from your HX if you do some modifications to the exhaust side of the turbo. I used a die grinder to remove a bit more than 1.5 inches of the center divider. I made a semi-sharp rolled edge where I blended the 2 sides of the exhaust housing into each other. Then I opened up the wastegate puck hole until there was about 1/16 of overlap left. Finally I fabricated a new rear cover from 1/2 plate, with a fabricated "collector" to merge the wastegate gasses into my 4 inch downpipe. The extra room provided by the collector also allows more wastegate puck travel.

The result is that I have better wastegate control of boost and do not have to rely on defueling from the edge juice to control boost. When I first put the Juice on the truck, it would spike boost to 45 pounds in a heartbeat...after the mods the wastegate does the boost control and I am able to regulate to 38 pounds maximum.

In stock form the front scroll of the exhaust side is not subject to wastegate regulation, leading to the turbo continuing to speed up even with the wastegate open.

I forget where I initially learned of this modification, but it does work. I have over 100,000 miles on this modification, and I am still running the original HX with 240,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
14,900 Posts
You can get a bit more use from your HX if you do some modifications to the exhaust side of the turbo. I used a die grinder to remove a bit more than 1.5 inches of the center divider. I made a semi-sharp rolled edge where I blended the 2 sides of the exhaust housing into each other. Then I opened up the wastegate puck hole until there was about 1/16 of overlap left. Finally I fabricated a new rear cover from 1/2 plate, with a fabricated "collector" to merge the wastegate gasses into my 4 inch downpipe. The extra room provided by the collector also allows more wastegate puck travel.

The result is that I have better wastegate control of boost and do not have to rely on defueling from the edge juice to control boost. When I first put the Juice on the truck, it would spike boost to 45 pounds in a heartbeat...after the mods the wastegate does the boost control and I am able to regulate to 38 pounds maximum.

In stock form the front scroll of the exhaust side is not subject to wastegate regulation, leading to the turbo continuing to speed up even with the wastegate open.

I forget where I initially learned of this modification, but it does work. I have over 100,000 miles on this modification, and I am still running the original HX with 240,000 miles on it.
Good information. Pictures would be even better.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry, no pictures. I did that modification a few years ago. I all fairness, I read about it on a diesel forum..but I don't remember which one. My exhaust temps can get toasty with the Edge set on the higher levels, but it is a setup that can tow and GO when needed. I keep the rpms above 1500 when towing over 10,000 pounds to keep it cool.

It spools at about 1300 rpm and does what it is supposed to do. I can run level 5 in the 1/4 mile without "too much" exhaust temperature...but level 6 blacks out the sun..and is flat out hot and nasty...and fast.. for a block or so.

·
Registered
14,900 Posts
Sorry, no pictures. I did that modification a few years ago. I all fairness, I read about it on a diesel forum..but I don't remember which one. My exhaust temps can get toasty with the Edge set on the higher levels, but it is a setup that can tow and GO when needed. I keep the rpms above 1500 when towing over 10,000 pounds to keep it cool.

It spools at about 1300 rpm and does what it is supposed to do. I can run level 5 in the 1/4 mile without "too much" exhaust temperature...but level 6 blacks out the sun..and is flat out hot and nasty...and fast.. for a block or so.
I'm going to see if I can find anything else about your modification. Sounds like something worth doing.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
164 Posts
how do i tell what turbo i have and what safe max psi for them?

·
Registered
14,900 Posts
Read this: Turbocharger FAQ and then go by what's already been said.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts