Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My master cylinder went out/is going out.

The front brakes don't apply all the time. When they don't apply, the pedal is very low, when the do it is normal, and sometimes the pedal sinks. I'm pretty sure it's teh master cylinder. Full Fluid, etc.

Anyway. Will the Master Cylinder from a 3rd gen fit? Is it any better? or is there any better ones for the 2nd gens? I already have all the parts EGR ( Egr Perfomance Inc - Performance brakes and G2 Caliper Paint Kits ) offers for my truck. Carbon Kevlar pads, Drilled rotors, SS brake lines DOT 5 brake fluid, bigger rear cylinders, etc. etc.

Anything better available? I have been looking, but can't find much. Price is not a major factor. Minimal downtime and reliability is.

Thanks.

Merrick

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Ahh... Well you got some serious issues there... My 2002 with 4 wheel disc only have about 1/2 inch of pedal travel and the brake are locked.

I'm still using factory brake parts and pads. I've got over 125K miles on the factory pads and got lots of pad left (>60%)

As a matter of fact I don't use my service brakes very often at all. I use my exhaust brake for most of my stopping needs...

If you got rear drum I would opt for the larger GM wheel cylinders though.

So as for slotted rotors (knowing to warp and crack), and DOT 5 brake fluid, and such you can save you money and not spend it on this stuff...

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About 3 days ago my pedal was like yours, about 1/2" to apply, then about another 1/2" to heavy braking.

I have rear drums, so they aren't nearly as touchy as the 4 wheel discs....

The Master cylinder went out after two hard stops with my trailer. I smoked the front pads both times.

I panic stopped with a 19K trailer w/o trailer brakes from 65MPH to 10MPH, then about 3/4 mile down the road I got pulled over for no lights, and had to stop from 65 to 0 again, so the brakes were already scorching hot, then I had to stop again. In the next few stops, the pedal started sinking, now it's very very low.

So I'm in the market for a New master cylinder but I'm not in the habit of replacing, I prefer upgrading.

I already have the drilled rotors with Carbon Kevlar pads, and have had them since 2003 they are awesome. I've only had to replace them once about a year ago. I used to go through pads about every 10K. Same driving habits as before. I highly recommend them, I also have the Stainless Steel Braided Brake lines and DOT 5 Brake Fluid. The stopping improvement was tremendous.

I also have the bigger rear cylinders from a GM truck, and Carbon Kevlar shoes. They offered a huge increase in braking as well.

Now my master cylinder is going out, and I'd prefer a modified cylinder, maybe with less pedal effort.

I'm going to give EGR a call and see what they offer.

Thanks,
Merrick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts