Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to take out my MAP sensor to clean it, but I dont know what size it is. I bought a 1 1/16" deep well socket and its too small, 1 1/8" is also too small. I read in another thread that they are 1 1/16". Any had this problem? :confused013:

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
Try a larger socket. Just because it is posted somewhere does not make it true... Dodge or Cummins could have changed to a different size.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured I needed a bigger socket, but the thing is I dont have a set that big so Im buying and returning sockets to sears making trips across town. I dont mind doing it if I have to, I just thought maybe someone has run into this before and knew what size to use. Ill try 1.5" next and see if thats too big and go from there.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I would try a 1 1/4 next. Not sure of the size myself, but have seen very few things that 1 1/2.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just changed out a MAP sensor at work on a 98.5. It was a 1 1/4".

·
Registered
206 Posts
No problem! :thumbsup: I take it you got it out and cleaned up?

·
cumminsforum.com
26,302 Posts
That weird...

My stock on was 1" 1/16 (2002) and my new MAP (2001) is a 1" 1/16 (6 sides socket).

http://mopar.cumminsforum.com/tips/cummins/2ndgen24v/map-sensor/DSCF0832%20-edit.jpg

·
Registered
206 Posts
The sensor on the right is a superseded part from the original. They changed the design.

·
cumminsforum.com
26,302 Posts
The sensor on the right is a superseded part from the original. They changed the design.
Correct! In either case there both 1-1/16" socket... The only problem is the new one requires a 6 point because of the rounded corners...

So why there is a bunch of different sizes floating out there I have no idea... :confused013:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm as long as it works I guess. I did not get a chance to run by sears today but ill get it taken care of tomorrow.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not To Change Subject. But Why Do We Need To Clean These. They Are On The Intake Side They Should Not Be Dirty If We Are Using Good Air Filters . I Had To Replace My Ait Sensor And It Was Spotless ???

·
Registered
992 Posts
Not To Change Subject. But Why Do We Need To Clean These. They Are On The Intake Side They Should Not Be Dirty If We Are Using Good Air Filters . I Had To Replace My Ait Sensor And It Was Spotless ???
They will get dirty quicker if the engine is idled. Soot and carbon buildup happens in the intake side of things. However if you drive on the highway for extended periods of time, or tow quite a bit then the heat produced should keep this from happening and possibly even clean up things a bit.

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
Exhaust brakes are usually the issue... If your mileage is down you can pull it to see if it needs cleaning. Guys without exhaust brakes don't have many issues with this.

·
cumminsforum.com
26,302 Posts
They will get dirty quicker if the engine is idled. Soot and carbon buildup happens in the intake side of things. However if you drive on the highway for extended periods of time, or tow quite a bit then the heat produced should keep this from happening and possibly even clean up things a bit.
Exhaust brakes are usually the issue... If your mileage is down you can pull it to see if it needs cleaning. Guys without exhaust brakes don't have many issues with this.
Shainer is right...

http://mopar.cumminsforum.com/tips/cummins/2ndgen24v/map-sensor/DSCF0830-edit.jpg http://mopar.cumminsforum.com/tips/cummins/2ndgen24v/map-sensor/DSCF0831.JPG

I've got to clean mine every oil change. I use my exhaust brake from 90% of all my stopping. This is why I'm still running on factory brake pads at 143K miles and going to clear 200K miles brefore I change brake pads.

Now if you allow the sooty oil to build up on the sensor what happen mostly to the IAT sensor is that the carbon in the oil becomes a current path along the body of the sensor. As the resistance starts to fall the IAT temp starts to rise. So this changes the timing and fueling parameters of the engine now. Then the MAP sensor also is effected slightly differently being it been known to plug up the sensor with this goop!

The BEST cleaner I found is Coleman Camp fuel (Naptha) it will strip the carbon and oil right off a sensor in less that a few seconds!

Short video of cleaning with Naptha (coleman fuel)
YouTube - IAT sensor cleaning

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And if you dont have any Naptha, you can go to autozone and get a can of MAF sensor cleaner made by CRC. I have a can of it laying around from when I cleaned the MAF sensor on my blazer. I just used it today and it worked great. And the little straw works great for cleaning inside the sensor. Also, it was the 1 1/4" socket. And the IAT sensor looks to be about a 7/8 and not a 13/16...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And the IAT sensor looks to be about a 7/8 and not a 13/16...
Scratch that, it looks like it is a 13/16, it just fits really tight. I found it easier to remove it with a 7/8, oil the 13/16 and replace it with that. The MAF sensor cleaner smells like naptha except with a quick drying agent in it. Worked damn good! Made a noticeable difference in the way it runs, not as sluggish. :thumbsup:

·
cumminsforum.com
26,302 Posts
In all cases we should be using a metric socket...:doh:

I tend to grab the american to much I guess...:banghead:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I didnt even think to try a metric socket.... Guess it makes sense as everything else on the thing is metric... wonder what size that would be

·
Registered
197 Posts
If a 13/16 fit it, but was a little tight then it is probably going to be a 21mm I believe.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts