Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My work and play activities with my trucks put me overweight on a 3500 dually. The next truck will be a 4500. Since GM quite making them it will be a Dodge.
I haul tools while pulling a flatbed with equipment sometimes. About 2,000 pounds on the truck and towing 14,000. When I go camping with the truck camper and the boat I'm hauling about 5,000 pounds while towing 5,000. I can't decide if I want the 6 speed manual or the Aisin. I used to drive an 18 wheeler and know how to shift but I've gotten so spoiled by owning 3 silky smooth Alison transmission equipped Chevys.
One of my big concerns is when launching the boat with the camper on. With an auto I've got the park paw to help hold the truck. With a manual I have only the e-brake. I'd prefer to leave the truck running for the short duration it's parked on the ramp so leaving it in gear won't work.
Can anyone give me some advice on which trans. is best for the type of work I'll put the truck thru.
If it matters I'm looking at 4 x 4 crew cab, 60" ca, optioned mostly as a work truck.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
As long as the e-brake is working properly it should hold it fine on a boat ramp. You might have to set it to the floor on a steep one.

Can't speak for the auto, but the manual will be cheaper to maintain, but a lot harder to find used. And if you start adding power all you need is a clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
A auto will out last a stick by far, you will put way more money into a stick by the time you start pulling out to keep replacing parts, a auto will last you 300 plus miles no problem

·
Registered
585 Posts
I personally think you're much better off with the manual. In my opinion Dodge autos can't handle the Cummins especially what your gonna use it for. If you're gonna pull deffinatly go with the manual.

·
12V ADDICT!
3,481 Posts
Manual for sure

·
Registered
228 Posts
I ended up with an auto . At first I was real nervous about it . The more I use it the more I like it . I am a hot shotter and I pull heavy just about every day. So don't be afraid of the auto. I have put over 125k mi on mine with no problems and I run a smarty on 60hp setting with no problems .

·
Registered
268 Posts
240K on my auto, still shifts like new, been hauling trailers its whole life.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
A auto will out last a stick by far, you will put way more money into a stick by the time you start pulling out to keep replacing parts, a auto will last you 300 plus miles no problem
I would like to know what evidence you have of this. With the amount of money I have in maintenance of my Aisin, I could have already replaced a manual trans with a reman unit if needed.....

Pushing $300 for a fluid and filter change, if I do the labor myself.

If I was getting a new truck again, it would be a stick. Better mileage, better control, less maintenance.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I am way to LAZY to drive anything but an AUTOMATIC!

We have been crossing the scales anywhere from 32,000lbs to 39,400lbs in my 3500 twice a month coming out of Kansas with hay with my XRT set on 60hp with ZERO ISSUES!

Other than the seats SUCKS on 1200 mile round trip drives!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
the only problem with CC iasin auto... is dodge... great tranny just pray to not have any problemsssss. if not you will be lucky to find part... the STD g56 is the same as pu truck so is long way more popular...

·
Registered
268 Posts
I would like to know what evidence you have of this. With the amount of money I have in maintenance of my Aisin, I could have already replaced a manual trans with a reman unit if needed.....

Pushing $300 for a fluid and filter change, if I do the labor myself.

If I was getting a new truck again, it would be a stick. Better mileage, better control, less maintenance.
For real? Do you have any idea what its costs for a tow if you lose your tranny with a trailer hooked to it? Then the cost of a new one or rebuilt ? I would much weather put a little money in to maintaining my truck on my on time, I know a lot of autos with 300k plus.

as far as mpg I get the same as a stick.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
For real? Do you have any idea what its costs for a tow if you lose your tranny with a trailer hooked to it? Then the cost of a new one or rebuilt ? I would much weather put a little money in to maintaining my truck on my on time, I know a lot of autos with 300k plus.

as far as mpg I get the same as a stick.
Yes. Dont act like Im an idiot when you are just throwing conjectures out. I have a manual sitting in my shop, ready to go into my truck when the aisin craps out

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Yes. Dont act like Im an idiot when you are just throwing conjectures out. I have a manual sitting in my shop, ready to go into my truck when the aisin craps out
that is the nv right????

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
that is the nv right????
no sir. g56. NV is too hard to find, and parts are hard too. Already killed one due to the oiling failure of the bearing on the output shaft. That was probably around fall of 2006, and even then, it took 4 weeks to get the parts to rebuild it

oh, and btw, I was towing a GN on the interstate running 70 mph....so I know all about a tranny failure while towing

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Upgrade clutch and never look back. That is an easy one. I have been beating a G56 in my 12v for years and it has taken the abuse. No issues out of my 5500 either. Good oil helps. Knock on wood as I can break anything.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I don't disagree, I am sure the G56 is good. All I am sayin is I have been pulling heavy loads for years now, all Dodges and manuals up till now. I put a ton of money into all my manuals and rear ends in my old trucks. The highest mileage truck I traded in was 300,000 and I would just wear them plum out. I am now driving my 2008 with my first auto and I must say this aisin is doing a damn good job. I run a mild mini max and I am very impressed with this truck.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
hey everybody I broke 3 g56 :doh::doh::doh:

but i still like... the Aisin keep having the same problems... Dodge and no aftermarket parts and upgrades...

I upgrade the g56 to a Gorilla and is holding great ... with EFI and a new turbo in

Macmov if you love ur tranny u must try the EFI by Ryan... and find a more friendly power for your truck:drool2::drool2::drool2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.