Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
currently thinking about buying a 09 cummins wondering what transmission would you go with manual or an auto?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
My vote is Manual. They are strong. If you are like many people on here, you are going to want more power. If you say no now, you will change your mind. trust me.

With more power comes failing parts. the clutch is the only weak link on the Manual, and the entire transmission is the weak link on the auto. You can pay 1,000-1,600 for a DD clutch, or 6,000 for a built automatic transmission.

I hate automatics, they are not fun to drive.

Also, Prescott. I am jealous man. I used to live there when I was a kid. beautiful place.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah im leaning towards the manual but im still not sure about the 6.7. iv always been a fan of the 5.9 a few of my friends have them and there manual. im looking to buy my first diesel in 5 or 6 months so ill have alot of time to decide. and prescott it is a really nice place kinda boring for kids my age around here.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
How old are you? I hear it has turned somewhat into an old folks city. Not much business. I am 22. I own a 6.7, and I love it. I wouldn't want anything else after I deleted the crap they it comes with.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
You can get into a still brand new 08 for cheap. Just look around man. There are some dudes on here that picked their brand new 08 CTD's up for less than $25,000. That really pisses me off, I paid 36 for mine last January.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im 19 turning 20 in november my goal is to get the truck before my birthday, and prescott always has been more of an older folks town since iv lived here, for about 7-8 years now. that might be something ill start looking for is the deals on 08's if there that cheap

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Picked mine up 30k out the door, with 3000 miles on the ticker, my 89' and 06' had a manual and so does my o8' would not have it any other way.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
if I could do it over again I would get the auto. Or special order a truck with the G56 and really low rear end gears. The G56 with 4.10's isn't fun on the freeway. I do nearly redline at 85 mph, around 2700 at 80. 2500 at 75, and around 2200 at 65. To get decent mileage I have to keep my speed around 60-65 and I am being passed by semi trucks.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Go manual, these autos are nice stock, but start to throw power at them and watch them burn.

I really really really want to trade my truck in for a manual but I will loose my shirt...and pants and anything else on my person.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
dodgeluvr what did you like best 06' or 08'
At first my 06' but once all the deletes were done and i had the XRT, I will never go back to a 5.9, i love the power this rig has and the exhaust brake is awesome. You must realize that the 5.9 has been out for years and has had its fair share of problems, once you get these problems worked out its a great motor, same with the 6.7

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At first my 06' but once all the deletes were done and i had the XRT, I will never go back to a 5.9, i love the power this rig has and the exhaust brake is awesome. You must realize that the 5.9 has been out for years and has had its fair share of problems, once you get these problems worked out its a great motor, same with the 6.7
yeah thats a good point.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
You cannot get the G56 with 4:10s. The only ratio available was the 3:73s. At least that is what the deal was when I had mine built.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
yeah thats a good point
well its like i said, i loved my 5.9 and had a good sum of money in it but i needed to go quadcab, and on this truck iam going all out and plan on keeping it for quite a while.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I went from an auto 07 5.9 with 4.10's to a 3.42 geared g56 08. I don't regret it for a single minute. My rpms are at less than 2000 at 70 mph, when you need it you have the ultra low 1st gear, and it is a pleasure to drive as compared to cringing till the torque converter locked up on my 07. I like my 6.7 better than my 5.9 and it only got better when deleted.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
i think you can get the 4:10 now

on the manual (g56) you can get either the 3.73 or 3.42 rear end. that's it. they did the 4.10 early on with some of the 07.5, but stopped. the way the g56 is geared, the 3.73 runs the same rpms as the 4.10 auto, and the 3.42 is = to the 3.73 auto.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
G56 with the 3.73 is similiar to the Auto with 4.11's

That's why the newer ones are 3.43(or something around there), to keep your RPM's down.

The G56 with my SBC Street Comp 3600 (12cb) dual disk is a completely different animal over the stock clutch. It rattles in neutral with the clutch out, and rattles/vibrates until the RPM's are over 1500 when in gear and under load.

With large tires and my gear ratio, I'll be fine on the highway. With stock tires, I run 2200 RPM @ 70 MPH. With the smaller gears you'd probably run closer to 1700-1800 (guess). Add larger tires and it drops your RPM down even more, now you may have issues with a dual disk in 6th gear at highway speeds.

Just something to consider. I'd get the 3.73's if it were an option and you want bigger tires someday. Milage will not be affected that much (provided you delete the EGR and DPF)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts