Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys...

I was wondering if there was something I could get where I could set the high idle myself on my 04.5:confused013:... I've seen some threads around where some of you guys do it. I just don't think the "automatic" one the truck does is consistant enough. I know that I had some problems a little while back where I was having temperature problems and it came out that I needed a new thermostat, and low and behold my water pump went shortly after. But in the cold we've been getting here around Boston I would like the high idle to remain on for a longer especially since I don't drive it to work because I work in the city.

Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its an auto

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,297 Posts
it should have already come with manual high
idle set via cruise control. if not, you'll need
to find someone with access to starscan so
they can enable it, whether its at a dealer
or a buddy with access to one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok that makes sense. Much appreciated. I tried it once turned it on and I believe I was told to press set? PErhaps I didn't follow the right sequence. ANyone know the right way to do it? That way ill know if it was enabled or not for sure.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,297 Posts
when the truck is in park ( you may or may not
have to have the ebrake on ), hit the cruise
on button. then increase the idle by pressing
accel / resume button to the desired idle rpm.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot ill give this a try when I home from work today.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Can 555 motors get this manual high idle?

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Some of the later 03 models were able to have the high idle work. Only way to tell is to have the dealer try to enable it in the trucks computer.

Mine is an early 03 and it won't work on it.

Randy

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
Ok that makes sense. Much appreciated. I tried it once turned it on and I believe I was told to press set? PErhaps I didn't follow the right sequence. ANyone know the right way to do it? That way ill know if it was enabled or not for sure.
Turn cruise on.

Tap Set twice and it will increase to about 1100.

Use Accel and Decel to increase or decrease again. Can't remember the exact terminology on the buttons.

Can 555 motors get this manual high idle?
Apparently late 03s and 04s can be. No on early 03s. Think that's still in question though

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
My 04 305/555 does it after manual high idle was enabled with a starscan. I had it done in 05. Truck has to be in park or neutral. E-brake doesn't matter on the auto trannies.

Cruise on and then press set. It should idle up to 1100rpm. Then you can use the accel to increase it to 1500rpm and coast to take it back down to 1100rpm or anywhere in between.

·
Registered
371 Posts
My high idle was enabled after I put the Smarty on. Works pretty nice when I can leave it going at 1500 rpm for 10 or 15 minutes before I leave.

Still cold as ice but not for as long as if I don't plug it in.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Turn cruise on.

Tap Set twice and it will increase to about 1100.

Use Accel and Decel to increase or decrease again. Can't remember the exact terminology on the buttons.

Apparently late 03s and 04s can be. No on early 03s. Think that's still in question though
Yea I got home from work and tried all these variations and my truck did not idle up... Looks like she's not programmed for it, yet. Just another reason to get a smarty :drool2:

·
Registered
374 Posts
The dealer can do it for ya, but I think you'll enjoy your solution better. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
How do you do it on a 07 6spd? I thing you ground a wire or somthing?

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
thanks for the info.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts