Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tapped my manifold for the EGT probe accompanying the Edge juice. I did not have a right angled drill or "stubby" bits so i was forced to go at an angle. Probably not the best choice!

Now I can see a bit of exhaust gas darkening the manifold around the probe so obciously it is not sealed. Also got a code can't remember the number but Edge told me it was "Absolute Manifold Pressure Low." called the dealer to ask if it would dreate the engine or put me in limp mode, dealer said no.

What should I do? Is it bad to have a bit of the gas escape. Can I retap it and if so how do I seal the hole in the manifold I already created? Someone suggested sealing the probe with JB Weld. Sorry for the ramble!:thud:

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
well you can patch the hole with a little weld, not jb weld but an actual welder. then retap in a pace where you can get a good hole drilled and tapped to it won't leak.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that about my best bet? Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
that's the route i would go instead of trying to seal something that can get up to 1500 degrees.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what i was wondering as well. I didn't think JB Weld would hold up to the temps. What about just leaving it. Any long term damage from having some exhaust escape. I know its not much as I can't feel any air flow when the engine's running.

·
Registered
497 Posts
leave it wait for aaftermarket set up... did you put a thread sealer on it? i would try something like that first

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
leave it wait for aaftermarket set up... did you put a thread sealer on it? i would try something like that first
What do ya mean an after market set-up? I was thinking the JB Weld around the threads as a sealer?

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Get High Temp Silicone Sealant, do this in the AM when the truck is cold. Remove the fitting and liberally apply the rtv sealant. Re-install the fitting leaving the excess sealant around the fitting. Leave the garage, go cut your grass or drink bear and watch baseball. Let it set up for half a day so it gets solid. The pressure from the exhaust should not be able to pass if you let it set up before going back to driving.

If that does not work, you have an extremely large gap and you will need to try more drastic measures to seal.

Keep in mind if soot is escaping your air filter is getting dirtier faster.... it's gonna cost you until it's fixed

·
Registered
96 Posts
YEAH THAT HIGH TEMP SEALANT IS THE STUFF WE USE IT ALL THE TIME IN OUR RACE CARS. ON THE EXHAUST SO THAT WILL WORK GREAT.:thumbsup

·
Registered
540 Posts
Get High Temp Silicone Sealant, do this in the AM when the truck is cold. Remove the fitting and liberally apply the rtv sealant. Re-install the fitting leaving the excess sealant around the fitting. Leave the garage, go cut your grass or drink bear and watch baseball. Let it set up for half a day so it gets solid. The pressure from the exhaust should not be able to pass if you let it set up before going back to driving.

If that does not work, you have an extremely large gap and you will need to try more drastic measures to seal.

Keep in mind if soot is escaping your air filter is getting dirtier faster.... it's gonna cost you until it's fixed
In addition your also loosing some boost psi

·
Registered
213 Posts
that high temp rtv wont last too long that is what we used for gaskets on my 383 sbf tt would last a couple of months but that is a lot of heat. how about a bung welded in that is bigger so you can tap it again or like the other guy said you can take it to a welding shop and have them weld the hole shut and try it again. hope this helps

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Helicoil would be your best bet!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
txpig what's helicoil?

Thanks for the suggestions fells!
The high temp sealant won't last too long?

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Being that it is pipe tap thread, just try tapping it deeper. It's a tapered pitch thread, and by going deeper, it may just seal itself. I've run into this before.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
A helicoil is a thread replacment. You'll need to redrill out your manifold with a larger diameter bit, retap it, and thread in the helicoil using the tool and tap that comes with the kit. The helicoil looks like a small spring. Any bearing supply house or fasteners store like Fastenal will have them. Let them know what your trying to do and they will be able to set you up. I'm sure they have them in NPT (national pipe thread) sizes. Hope this helps and good luck. Another thought would be to redrill and tap and use a bushing. i.e install a 5/16 NPT to 1/4" NPT bushing.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A helicoil is a thread replacment. You'll need to redrill out your manifold with a larger diameter bit, retap it, and thread in the helicoil using the tool and tap that comes with the kit. The helicoil looks like a small spring. Any bearing supply house or fasteners store like Fastenal will have them. Let them know what your trying to do and they will be able to set you up. I'm sure they have them in NPT (national pipe thread) sizes. Hope this helps and good luck. Another thought would be to redrill and tap and use a bushing. i.e install a 5/16 NPT to 1/4" NPT bushing.
Thanks, I'l look into that:thumbsup

1 - 18 of 18 Posts