Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Mamma got a new ride, time for me to learn about the 05's

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Cold smoke 
#1 ·
Hey all, been a long time since I have posted since, with all the help and knowledge here, I was able to get my 98.5 going just how I wanted (at least within my budget), so I have just been driving and enjoying it. Its looking like it will need an ECM (code), possibly another VP44 (the fass gelled a few times during warm up and I think the VP took a hit from that), and a steering gear box... Well mamma started thinking she might just get her a pickup so that I wasnt rushed to get the 98 all doctored up. Plus now having a 15 mo old tricycle motor on the ground, the single cab wasnt very user friendly.

She ended up with a 2005 - 2500 Quad cab SB. One owner rig til she she got it. Previous owner has some stuff done/did himself - so Im in the process of learning and becoming familiar with the 05 and common rail setup. Runs good, feels good, and I think she got a good price on the pickup. Anyway, that puts me here, searching and researching, and I thought I would at least post up about the pickup, and open my ears to any thoughts,insights, and opinions from everyone here as I continue my learning :D

Here are its stats:
'05, 2500 Quad Cab SB, NV5600 6sp, Cummins/Jacobs Exhaust brake (vacuum actuated style), Banks Monster Ram, boost and pyro gauges, 3.73s with 275/65-20s, and had 76300 miles when she got it.

Im surprised considering the add ons, why there wasnt an aftermarket air intake setup, or cat delete or what have you. But it is what it is.

Here are some of the questions Im currently searching/researching in case anyone wants to chime in. I have open ears and eyes :D

Fuel mileage isnt where I was hoping it would be (16-17MPG) - compared to my 98 - but it took injectors, a smarty, AFE intake, and 4" exhaust to get to the 20MPG it regularly gets now.

So Im looking at the options to help bring up mileage, and of course no one complains about more umph. Was planning on a Smarty first thing - once I can figure out and understand all the different versions of the S06 (Revo-TST-etc) since Im not used to all the choices compared to when I got my S03. As far as I know the clutch is stock, so I need to be mindful of that being a real possibility (as I cant think of any way to find out otherwise without tearing it apart - and I dont need that kind of investigative project).
And at the price of injectors, I think Ill wait to do something with injectors, as it seems that that's sort of a common thing on these at some point before 150k miles(??). So I think starting with the Smarty, and then start looking at other options. Im open to ideas here if anyone wants to share opinions.

Ive read about adding additional filtration to the fuel system... is that mainly for CP3 life? Injector life? Something else? But better filtration always seems like a good idea to me.

I know the lift pump on the 2nd gens was a big thing and went with a FASS95/95 on my 98. How big a deal is this on these common rail motors? Its a notable expense, but I know how much peace of mind it brought with the 98 - so if its a smart idea to do on the 05, Im game. Is a fuel pressure gauge as big a thing on these as it was on the VP44 motors?

The cummins/jacobs exhaust brake seems lacking... to the point I didnt think it was working when I test drove it for her, come to find out, its operating, but I dont feel it kick on, ever. Anything to do there to make it more effective? or just nature of the beast? Probably wont spend the money to change it out to an air pressure ran one, but might consider down the road if the vacuum operated one is just a joke. I need to get a vac gauge on the line to see what its pulling down to - maybe the pump is on the way out and why it seems ineffective. The manual says 15-29 in/hg which seems like a sort of large spread... but maybe its not easy to overpower the flap and a non-issue.

Does an aftermarket air intake make much difference on these? Seemed to help a lot on my 98, but the intake tube on the 05 is a lot bigger than it was on my 98. Not looking to waste money on something that doesnt do much.

Boost gauge on this will get up to 35-37psi, then quickly drop to 30-32ish - is that the normal range on these? or should I be looking for a boost fooler installed somewhere? the 98 would defuel at 20psi until I went to the smarty - now it runs up to 32PSI. Not wanting to push too hard on 'er - no desire to mess with a blown head gasket etc...

I think those are the main things Im researching right now, but Im sure Ill come up with more as I go.

Cheers
Wade

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
As long as the stock in tank pump is good it is fine for stock and mildly modified trucks. Get extra fuel filtration ASAP. The boost is normal from what I can tell you on my 05. Smarty is the programmer for the 05's. A Smarty will be good for the power a stock clutch can handle.

Harley

#4 ·
Get a smarty and UDC dongle. Get a tuner to custom tune it. I've heard a lot of good things from Lavon @ Firepunk. The truck will run 100x better.

#5 ·
#6 ·
Hoss50
Extra filtration.. Check.. will research and see if I can a post with the part numbers and filters etc...

Blue04.5
Been going through that thread here for a day or so trying to get my bearings :D Will probably go through it many times before Im said and done
pics of mamma's attached

Cummins04.5handshaker
Im leaning towards smarty because of the great service I got from Bob when I got one for my 98.5. But Im still trying to wrap my head around the UDC dongle thing... havent quite grasped the different variations yet. But still researching :D

RimCrew
10-4 will add some of those filters to the list

Thanks again for the input - and Im sure restating what has been said elsewhere many times. Some times my searching abilities lack proper terminology.

Wade

Attachments

#7 ·
Smarty UDC is custom tuning so the TNT REVO etc don't apply in that case. The UDC dongle is like a USB thumb drive that allows you to download the custom tunes from computer to the Smarty tuner. You can have someone write the tunes or you can write the tunes yourself.
2005 with the NV5600 is one of the best years and combos to have IMO. It looks like a nice truck I'm sure you will enjoy it!

#9 ·
I DIY'ed my 2 micron filter for about $70. I did a small write up on it. Search 2 micron and my user name and it should pop up. I am in the process of building a DIY bypass oil filter setup too, but until I get it done I am going to run the Baldwin BD7317 that is like 2/3 full flow filter and 1/3 bypass media filter.

I am also going to upgrade to the 4" air filter soon. Mine had a brand new 2" when I bought the truck about 5 months ago.

Harley

#10 ·
GDP makes a nice clean filter set up. I ran one until recently upgrading my fuel pump to a fass 150. BTW the smarty S06 has a boost fooling option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.