Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I started my truck and the Malfunction Indicator Light stayed on and so did the check gauges light. I looked over my gauges and the only one that was a little weird was my Voltmeter which was reading about 12. I drove it to work, which was about a 30 minute commute and it ran normal. Any suggestions?
Thanks for reading this.

One more thing, when I start it, it is a little slow to start and makes a weird rattle sound that seems to be coming under or near the dash, kind of where the Voltmeter is located. This is my first diesel; if it is the batteries do you have to replace both or just one? Is there a dominant battery or do they both run the same? Thanks again for your help.

· Registered
396 Posts
Justen920, fill out your signature so we know what year truck you have.

You will need to check for codes to see what your main problems are. The Malfunction Indicator Light just lets you know that there is a problem, not what it is. Youo can check for codes by cycling your ignition key from off-on-off-on-off-on. Yo uwill then see a P_ _ _ _ code displayed on your odometer.

You may have one or two batteries that are going bad or maybe your alternator or it could be that it was just cold outside and your grid heater was cycling and pulling to much electricity out of your batteries.

As far as the check gauges light, you can check your gauges by pushing in and holding the odometer reset button and then turning the key to the run position.

All of your gauges should cycle through steps and all of the lights on the gauge cluste should illuminate.

Once this is complete you will see more codes pop up on the odometer.

Get all of your codes together and let us know what they are.

Hope this Helps!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help, I took it in to Les Schwabb because it was close and they said my passenger side battery was shot and during the testing it was spewing out acid, so I called Dodge and found out my warranty covered it so I had it jumped and drove it to Dodge. The meter read 14 the entire way and they had no problems restarting it. I left it over night and got a call this morning that they could not find anything wrong with it and the batteries were in great condition. Who do you believe? They had to clear the codes and run a software update. Talk about a big waste of time, thanks again for your help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.