Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, im just wondering if anyone has noticed if using synthetic oil their truck, that it has "made more oil" in a shorter period of time compared to using non synthetic oil. thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
May have coolant or fuel getting in the oil.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Hey, im just wondering if anyone has noticed if using synthetic oil their truck, that it has "made more oil" in a shorter period of time compared to using non synthetic oil. thanks
First of all, awesome avatar!!! Dale was the man!!!
All the 6.7 non deleted trucks make oil, fuel dilution and egr sludge. Not sure if it's worse with synthetic oil, I didn't switch mine over till I deleted.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Doesn't matter if it's conventional, synthetic, or blend.

If it's making a lot of oil and running rough I would be thinking injector. I hate to say oil increase is a good thing (it's not) but the 6.7 does put more contaminates into the oil then previous 5.9's. Change oil regularly and use CJ-4 rated oil, it's designed to help control sludge, fuel dilution problems better then previous oils.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. And as to the oil it is cj-4 rated. I just started using Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5w40. I let my truck drain for 24 hrs and then added about 11.25 quarts of oil. It was up maybe an eighth of the way in the safe range maybe a little more. That was the beginning of april. Now a little over a month its just a hair above the top of the safe range. I was using valvoline blue oil 15w40. It just seemed that the oil was not diluted as fast as it is now. It seems to be running fine. Not rough or anything. Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
The sump calls for 12 quarts and that's what I put in. A quart over in a regular oil change is not going to be too high to cause whipping of the oil. I personally would rather have that extra quart of oil to help dilute and combate the fuel/soot coming into the oil.

If anyone is really more anal then me they could, when they see the oil getting high on the dipstick, take the oil filter off and drain it and add back fresh oil. I'm anal about stuff but not that anal.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've used Amsoil 15w40 in my truck since the very first change (pre and post delete). Always put 12qt in and always get 12qt out.......

Oil is definitely cleaner since the deletes though.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I've used Amsoil 15w40 in my truck since the very first change (pre and post delete). Always put 12qt in and always get 12qt out.......

Oil is definitely cleaner since the deletes though.
Same here, 12 in, and 12 out. 15W-40 HD Diesel & Marine

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know this could be here say but I've heard that since stock trucks still go into regen cause the oil level to rise due to the ECM increasing the pulsewidth of the injectors to spray more fuel during regen to light off the dpf. Inevitably some fuel gets past the rings causing the level to rise and I do know for a fact that cummins calls for a 3 percent oil/fuel dilution oil change required message based on algorithms written into the ECM based on driving habits. Don't believe me.... Try putting around and see how fast u have to change your oil based on the overhead

·
Registered
59 Posts
In my opinion, the mystery of "making oil" is caused more by improper seating of the rings than the exhaust pulse of diesel fuel to the cylinders. Yeah, if there was no regeneration cycle (deleted), even with crappy seating, you'd get much less fuel blow by than with regen enabled. But combine regeneration with poorly seated rings, and making oil is the outcome.

My 2010 doesn't make oil like it did during the first 2000 miles, and I firmly believe that's because I practiced what the Owner Manual preached -- loaded operation during the first 6000 miles of operation is beneficial to the engine. And I loaded it up, and drove it hard during that time. And to my best knowledge, seated the rings nicely.

Am I right, wrong, or hallucinating? :confused013:

·
Registered
12 Posts
My truck "makes oil" too. I changed my oil today after 4200 miles on the oil and ended up with 14.5 quarts. This happens everytime I change the oil and was told at the dealership that this was normal. I do not go by when the overhead tells me to change it, instead I watch the dipstick and change it when I get too nervous to let the level rise any higher. I drive this truck all highway miles and use Valvoline Premium Blue oil. The truck is an '07 and is still completely stock (for now).

·
Registered
340 Posts
I changed the oil in my stock '07 yesterday at about 4500 miles. That's the longest I've ever gone before a change. I got exactly 3 gallons out (I'm including an estimate of the amount of oil held in the filter after draining it). As recommended on this forum I let the oil drain for almost 1/2 hour. In the past my truck was making oil (maybe a quart or less over) but now the oil level is remaining normal. I'm not sure if the J35 reflash helped but I do know the engine is running better than ever.

BTW, I'm using Mobil Delvac 15W-40 dino oil...not synthetic.

·
Registered
295 Posts
In my opinion, the mystery of "making oil" is caused more by improper seating of the rings than the exhaust pulse of diesel fuel to the cylinders. Yeah, if there was no regeneration cycle (deleted), even with crappy seating, you'd get much less fuel blow by than with regen enabled. But combine regeneration with poorly seated rings, and making oil is the outcome.

My 2010 doesn't make oil like it did during the first 2000 miles, and I firmly believe that's because I practiced what the Owner Manual preached -- loaded operation during the first 6000 miles of operation is beneficial to the engine. And I loaded it up, and drove it hard during that time. And to my best knowledge, seated the rings nicely.

Am I right, wrong, or hallucinating? :confused013:
my feeling is since the regen injects fuel during the exhaust stroke there isnt enough compression to force the rings against the cyl wall and seal it up. thats just from a physics standpoint. why cant they inject a fine spray into the exhaust. outside the cylinder.

·
Diesel Filled Veins!
5,374 Posts
my feeling is since the regen injects fuel during the exhaust stroke there isnt enough compression to force the rings against the cyl wall and seal it up. thats just from a physics standpoint. why cant they inject a fine spray into the exhaust. outside the cylinder.
I would agree with you for sure! Why can't they inject into the exhaust after the turbo turbine? Why is the EPA such - ahem - ungood for us truck owner?

·
Registered
122 Posts
dpf and egr deletes solve this problem regardless of oil and if you look around you can still find a tech willing to do warranty work on a modded truck

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
FWIW, I'm using Rotella T6 5w40 and don't have issues making oil, I get the same out that goes in. 64k miles on the truck and still stock.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Before the deletes my truck would "make" about 3/4 to a quart of oil after 4k miles. Pretty sure this was due to the 4th injection for regen causing a bit of blow-by. After I deleted I no longer make oil and my oil is cleaner.....not to mention don't smell like diesel fuel.

·
Registered
340 Posts
FWIW, I'm using Rotella T6 5w40 and don't have issues making oil, I get the same out that goes in. 64k miles on the truck and still stock.
Same here. I recently changed the oil on my 100% stock truck after 4,500 miles and got exactly 3 gallons out (not including the small amount trapped in the filter). I have 66k total miles on the truck.

Oil used: Mobil Delvac 15W40 (non synthetic)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.