Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that my coolant bottle was right full after a bit of a drive. Before I left it was right on the "Full" mark. I didn't notice any bubbles. I sucked some out and it looked clean and I could not smell anything unusuall from the antifreeze. It happened to me a few months back, but not to this extent, so I didn't think much of it. Any ideas? Trucks got 80,000Km.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Hate to say it, but you could be on the way to a blown head gasket. You could be pressurizing the cooling passages with cylinder pressure and passing the coolant out into the overflow bottle. I have had it happen to me in one of my cars and it was the HG. Do you push the truck hard? My car got me by for a little bit and didn't leak as long as I stayed out of the boost. As soon as I got on the boost though it was pushing coolant out. Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it could be a HG but I thought I would see bubbles in the over flow tank instead of it beeing full. I don't push it all the time but once in a while and even more when I am towing. I wonder if I could put studs in now without changing the head gasket and see if that solves the problem. Or do you think the damage is done?

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you are going to tear it down and put studs on it, don't chance it. Put a new head gasket on it either way. Even if the gasket is good, I would replace it before putting the head back on. Maybe it's just me, but the extra cost is well worth it for the insurance of knowing everything is new and in perfect condition.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Since you can put the studs in without having to remove the head, I personally would give it a try since it doesn't seem too bad yet. I have heard of people getting away with re-torquing to a higher torque or installing studs for a while, (not on these engines though), but I would never count on it solving the problem. When gases pass by the gasket they start to erode it. I would say its a gamble as to how long it would last. Also you more than likely wont see the bubbles because the gasket would only be passing when the engine is under load.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Did you let it cool down before you checked the coolant bottle?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking of pulling one stud at a time and replacing them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you let it cool down before you checked the coolant bottle?
Yes, I checked the bottle the next day. I also removed the rad cap to see if that was working properly. It seems to be ok. Also the rad was not full of coolant, it was down a couple of inches. I will try going for a drive and see if the coolant fills the rad back up.

·
Registered
738 Posts
You might want to do some searches on this subject. There are different opinions on what this may be a sign of. HG is the most common, as was in my case. I would venture to guess that is your case too. It may not be that bad, yet. If you bring your power settings closer to stock, might be able to get away with driving your truck until you can do everything.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
So long as people realize the level in the overflow bottle WILL change between when the engine is cold and when it's up to operating temperature, then by all means...tear into it.

To me it just sounded like the OP checked the coolant level in the overflow, drove the truck until it was warm, then checked the level again and now thinks there's a problem when that behavior is completely normal. Just like the other fluids, the coolant expands when hot and will vent into the overflow. When the engine's off and the coolant cools, it creates a vacuum in the cooling system that pulls the coolant back in, lowering the overflow level.

By opening the radiator cap you also let air into the cooling system.

Seems people are HG crazy around here and tend to overlook the simple, common explanations.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So long as people realize the level in the overflow bottle WILL change between when the engine is cold and when it's up to operating temperature, then by all means...tear into it.

To me it just sounded like the OP checked the coolant level in the overflow, drove the truck until it was warm, then checked the level again and now thinks there's a problem when that behavior is completely normal. Just like the other fluids, the coolant expands when hot and will vent into the overflow. When the engine's off and the coolant cools, it creates a vacuum in the cooling system that pulls the coolant back in, lowering the overflow level.

By opening the radiator cap you also let air into the cooling system.

Seems people are HG crazy around here and tend to overlook the simple, common explanations.
Actually, I checked it when it was cool then I re-checked it while it was cool. And the level did not just go up an inch or two, the bottle was full to the top and overflowing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have my EGR deleted but not my EGR cooler. Do you think it could be the EGR cooler?

·
Registered
704 Posts
JJE
What you are reporting sounds a lot like what I went through.
My truck would "add" coolant to the recovery bottle and not pull it back when I would tow with smarty v14 on setting 1 - however running stock it would not "add coolant".

My experience:
With engine completely cool after letting the truck sit overnight;
I would transfer the "extra coolant" back into the radiator & note the level in the recovery bottle;
Drive the truck with a load on it & the recovery bottle would begin to fill;
Shut the truck off and let it sit & cool over night;
Next morning the coolant in the recovery bottle would still be higher than the level it started at;
The upper hose would be firm & removing the radiator cap air would escape & the coolant level would be low;

Bottom line my gasket was compromised but not completely blown & would only leak under boost & increased timing.

Removed the head, replaced the HG & added studs & run less timing - problem solved.

Good luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JJE
What you are reporting sounds a lot like what I went through.
My truck would "add" coolant to the recovery bottle and not pull it back when I would tow with smarty v14 on setting 1 - however running stock it would not "add coolant".

My experience:
With engine completely cool after letting the truck sit overnight;
I would transfer the "extra coolant" back into the radiator & note the level in the recovery bottle;
Drive the truck with a load on it & the recovery bottle would begin to fill;
Shut the truck off and let it sit & cool over night;
Next morning the coolant in the recovery bottle would still be higher than the level it started at;
The upper hose would be firm & removing the radiator cap air would escape & the coolant level would be low;

Bottom line my gasket was compromised but not completely blown & would only leak under boost & increased timing.

Removed the head, replaced the HG & added studs & run less timing - problem solved.

Good luck
That sounds exactly what my truck is doing. How many hours would it take to change HG and studs if I did it my self?

·
Registered
704 Posts
That sounds exactly what my truck is doing. How many hours would it take to change HG and studs if I did it my self?
I didn't do the job myself - had a shop do it - They had it a couple of days.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts