Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was installing my new CFM+ about a month ago and I stripped one of the bolt holes (or so I thought). I pulled off the intake elbow today to fix it and I found DISASTER!

A piece of the threaded bolt hole inside the manifold has broken off and I have no idea where it went.

Can someone please tell me where to start looking for it and where it might have went.

Rowdy

I have pictures of it but I can't figure out how to post them. The file size is too big and I don't know how to shrink it.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
ugh....probably already went through the motor....or is imbedded in a valve or piston or turbo. I would pull the inlet off the turbo and check it for play in the shaft....

How tight did you make the intake? I thought it only required inch-pounds....nothing high enough to strip and break metal?????

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
It's probably sitting in your intake somewhere.

Run a magnet or something down the intake and see what you find. If you can't find it, just button it back up, and keep on motoring, LOL.

Merrick

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats the kicker, I did it probably a month ago and I drive 100 miles 5 days a week to work. It has never missed a beat except once. I was getting on the freeway and really stuck my foot into it and then stopped at a gas station to get a drink and shut my truck off. When I got back in and fired it up there was a pretty bad knock and it was sputtering and almost died. I got going and then it smoothed right out and I heve never had a problem since.

Is there a chance it could have went all the way through with no problems? I am litterally sick to my stomach.

P

·
0 Posts
Hey Radio

I think we know where it is now.

As the speggetti sauce commercial said. . ."it's in there"

Sounds like it made it into a cylinder and as mentioned, embeded itself or spit it out.

Be vewrry vewrry quiet if you have to go to the dealer with engine porblems. . .

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
i told you guys to be careful when installing them studs. when the piece went into my motor is took out a piston and two valves. with the intake horn off start the truck up and listen to the motor idle at the horn if you hear any hissing at all you need to pull the head. ( bad valves) more than likely the piece got melted into the piston crown or it got shot into the turbo if it went through the exhaust valve. Robert

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
geez, how tight were those studs??? Has me concerned, cause I am putting a CFM elbow on here pretty soon....

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
geez, how tight were those studs??? Has me concerned, cause I am putting a CFM elbow on here pretty soon....
if you pull the intake horn off the two mounts closest to the motor are VERY thin and have no extra support.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I guess the better question is, how tight are they supposed to be?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well my factory bolts were in there WAY tight (almost busted a nut gettin em out). I really didn't tighten them all that much before I felt the snap. I never even gave it a second thought about cracking the manifold, I figured it just stripped. Wished I would have pulled it back off and checked.

How can I tell if it imbedded itself in the head or if it made it through?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I think I will check the turbo for missing fins or a wobble. If I don't find anything I'm pretty sure it's going in to industrial injection to see what they can find. I hate to take it to a mechanic but I don't feel confident enough to do it myself.

:$::$::$::$::$::$::$:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, the intake horn is on the intake side of the turbo. It's actually the last piece before the air goes into your valves and into the engine. There really isn't much after the turbo. Just exhaust pipe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts