Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1791 Conservative
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Maintenance Day (Oil, fuel and serpentine)

Though it was cold and snowy outside here in northern VA today, I needed to get some stuff done on my truck. The typical engine oil and two filters changed. I was due for the GDP second fuel filter to be changed too. And on all my vehicles at 40k miles I change my serpentine belt. Thanks to http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/6-7l-tech-articles/287415-water-pump-replaced.html and http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/4th-gen-powertrain/553281-how-replace-serpentine-belt.html I was able to get it done pretty easy by myself. It would have been much easier with a second pair of hands as most things are but I always do my stuff solo. Here is a couple tips. Take the minute to remove the tensioner as suggested in one of the threads. Once you get the new one on, place a zip tie loose on the belt above the alternator and hook that zip tie to a bungee cord. Hook the other end to the hood latch hoop. That will keep it up while putting the tensioner back in place. Then just use (in my case the Craftsman serpentine belt tool) from the top side, loosen the tensioner, cut the zip tie and place the belt in place.

Truck had 995 hours and 40,773 miles on it when I did this today. I have been towing a lot (moving) as well as more in the near future and a trip up to MI this weekend. Had about 11,000 miles on this oil change and 20,000 on the GDP Fleetguard fuel filter. My OEM filter was changed about 1,000 miles ago. Starting this time, finally, my stuff will be on one schedule!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey Mudman1, what condition was the serpentine belt in? I got 19,800 miles on my truck now and just curious. I am a firm believer in preventative maintenance. Do you keep a maintenance log for your truck? Does anyone else or am I the only nerd?!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Though it was cold and snowy outside here in northern VA today, I needed to get some stuff done on my truck. The typical engine oil and two filters changed. I was due for the GDP second fuel filter to be changed too. And on all my vehicles at 40k miles I change my serpentine belt. Thanks to http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/6-7l-tech-articles/287415-water-pump-replaced.html and http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/4th-gen-powertrain/553281-how-replace-serpentine-belt.html I was able to get it done pretty easy by myself. It would have been much easier with a second pair of hands as most things are but I always do my stuff solo. Here is a couple tips. Take the minute to remove the tensioner as suggested in one of the threads. Once you get the new one on, place a zip tie loose on the belt above the alternator and hook that zip tie to a bungee cord. Hook the other end to the hood latch hoop. That will keep it up while putting the tensioner back in place. Then just use (in my case the Craftsman serpentine belt tool) from the top side, loosen the tensioner, cut the zip tie and place the belt in place.

Truck had 995 hours and 40,773 miles on it when I did this today. I have been towing a lot (moving) as well as more in the near future and a trip up to MI this weekend. Had about 11,000 miles on this oil change and 20,000 on the GDP Fleetguard fuel filter. My OEM filter was changed about 1,000 miles ago. Starting this time, finally, my stuff will be on one schedule!
I'm a little confused. Why did you change the tensioner? and not just the belt? Or did I just miss something?

I drive a 2012 CTD and barely get 3K miles on oil change interval with sampling. What are you doing differently to get 11K mile interval. Man that's aweswome.

Thanks for the time and good luck!

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
I'm a little confused. Why did you change the tensioner? and not just the belt? Or did I just miss something?

I drive a 2012 CTD and barely get 3K miles on oil change interval with sampling. What are you doing differently to get 11K mile interval. Man that's aweswome.

Thanks for the time and good luck!
Let me take a guess. He replaced the tensioner pulley and the belt because of the catastrophic destruction that may take place if you lose the belly. I think I remember reading that somewhere. As for the oil change I'm sure he's deleted and his truck doesn't smell its farts anymore or breathe them for that matter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Mudman1

·
1791 Conservative
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I only changed the belt, not the tensioner. The belt started showing a couple cracks in the groves. I have always changed them out around 40,000 miles and since I have spent many nights idling the truck it had a good amount of use. Some may say it is overkill...but it makes me feel good.

Yes, at 10,000 miles many parts fell off the truck. I also run a by-pass filter from AMSOIL. I am sure I could go longer, but it seems I am either driving half way across the country or just putting around town. As a result I tend to dump it a little sooner than I could run it for.

·
Go Packers
9,070 Posts
Hey Mudman1, what condition was the serpentine belt in? I got 19,800 miles on my truck now and just curious. I am a firm believer in preventative maintenance. Do you keep a maintenance log for your truck? Does anyone else or am I the only nerd?!
Well, if you're a nerd, you got company. I keep a detailed log of vehicles, power equipment, & the such. If it happens to the truck or my bride's vehicle, it gets put in my vehicle log, on my computer. Even washings gets recorded. Makes it so much easier to see what was done when. I even keep receipts of oil & filters used for sig truck. Ever have to prove something for warranty, I have it, or at least try to. Preventive maintenance is key for making any vehicle last. :thumbsup:

Reactions: 09W3500 and Mudman1
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.