Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Performance (+$198) - polished & welded double wall tip, band clamps

XL (+$58) - mid level, single wall clamp on tip, satin finish

Pro - no tip, satin finish

All 100% stainless steel, and full lifetime warranty.

So is the polished setup and integrated tip worth the extra $198 more than the Pro? I live in PA and our winters are pretty harsh as it is...so if it's going to look like crap after a year I might as well save my money.

It's a 5" TB setup for a 5.9L, I already have the BAPD fooler box to go with it.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I don't know about the longevity of the different tips in your neck of the woods so I can't really help you there.

I do know that I prefer the band clamps that come with the performance series; I hate the guillotine style clamps. JMHO

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
They are all T409 Ss, the band clamps are about a night and day better to the u-bolt style clamps

·
Registered
655 Posts
yeah, the band clamps are great for future swap outs/maintenance. I think any of their kits that are built out of 304 stainless are going to last a while. (higher chromium content) It's the 409 stainless you would see the surface rust on more so than the 304....however it will eventually need some dressing up. I used to use a terry cloth rag and some comet on my other tips once they started to show some wear. It works great to remove surface rust and you can always go back over it with a finer polish afterwards if you prefer.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if it's the lower grade SS, I'm assuming polished would be a waste?

·
Registered
655 Posts
no it will still polish up, just not last as long. you will be seeing surface rust sooner with a 409 stainless than say a 304 stainless. That is the two most common types of piping/tips used by most manufacturers. I thought the tips were a 304SS and the tubing was 409 but I could be wrong so don't depend solely on my word

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got off the phone with them...a receptionist actually answered, I was impressed.

Anyway, all the tubing is T409, and he said the muffler was T436.

Just the muffler on the performance series is polished, not to tubing. All the kits have band clamps. He did say the single wall tip will yellow/blue with heat.

I'm not into the chrome or anything, so I'm probably just going to go with the Pro kit since I could add a tip later if I decided to.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'd go with the Pro and add a tip down the line if you decide to...it's the only part you'll really see anyway. How much is it total for the Pro?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now you guys have me reconsidering the T409 of the Magnaflow, and instead looking into the Silverline DS107 setup. Not finding much info, but the price is comparable with what I was looking at with the Magnaflow Performance series.

You guys think the T304 is better idea than T409?

·
Registered
655 Posts
neither one is really better than the other. they are both stainless steel and have a long life for this type of service....the biggest difference in the two grades is the ability of one to hold a shine over the other

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I believe that Silverline is marketing a 304 SS exhaust system. As I recall it was their most expensive (but nicest looking) system. If you want some more bling maybe look into their systems. You can always polish the oxidation off 409 SS to bring it back to a shine.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
i have a friend with powerstroke with a silverline 304 and its been on the truck 3 years and looks same as day he took it out of the box

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Being from central PA, and the winters here, that has me leaning more towards the Silverline. A few searches have said that T409 will clean up okay, and last longer than aluminized, but will rust eventually.

Figures, I'm going to see if my contact can get them instead of Magnaflow. He was cutting me a break on Magnaflow though

·
Registered
655 Posts
aw heck, just move! lol then you won't need the better stainless

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh I plan on it in the next few years. I ended up getting the Silverline from my mechanic/friend. We're going to install it next Thursday after Dodge has my truck for a few days to clean the EGR system and replace my ball joints.

Going to use 5" band clamps too, and I need to pick up the EGT sensor nuts, and O2 sensor bungs. He does some exhaust work, but doesn't keep much on hand. I think he's pretty interested to see how this works with the fooler box/etc.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Just got off the phone with them...a receptionist actually answered, I was impressed.

Anyway, all the tubing is T409, and he said the muffler was T436.

Just the muffler on the performance series is polished, not to tubing. All the kits have band clamps. He did say the single wall tip will yellow/blue with heat.

I'm not into the chrome or anything, so I'm probably just going to go with the Pro kit since I could add a tip later if I decided to.

What do you guys think?
Thats Always a Good Choice:thumbsup

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Just an FYI if its the system im thinking of. The muffler is a 4" core not a 5". all the pyping is 5" but the muffler necks down to 4" inside. I bought that muffler and returned it once i saw that. Just an FYI.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts