Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, no codes but have some issues where the truck runs way richer as the temperatures go up. It seems like the is not enough air going in. I changed the actuator to a quality new unit, New air filter, tripled nutted the boost clamps, cleaned the sensors and the turbo. The truck starts to roll black as soon as I get on it or need to pickup from slow as passing in traffic.
I did turn the tunes down a little, but that only seemed to reduce the amount. The truck ran great a month ago when the temps were a good 20 degrees cooler.
I watched the MAF on the graph and saw it being smooth but seemed to plateau as I was still accelerating on the highway. I think this may be my issue but I need some input on testing more.
I also still have the air valve on the truck, unplugged but still there if that helps people with ideas, as I am out.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
using Tapatalk

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, so I used the ezlynk and at low rpms the maf follows the rpm. But once I get going and accelerate to pass the curve becomes parabolic. I know that with a nonboosted engine the maf should follow the rpm, what should it do on the turbo diesel?
And yes, it builds boost so there is no air leak unless the air is coming from the crankcase tube.
Please help guys.

using Tapatalk

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If anybody is wondering, I just changed the maf out this morning. Did fuel filters prior so I got to hear the difference. And it was there, truck was a bit smoother with the new maf in place. There were no codes, just the hesitation when cold and smoking at higher rpms. Will have to check the smoke later, but so far so good. And yes, the fuel filter was kinda dirty, the dirtiest I have seen on it yet but not bad at all.

using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
So I am following your info here, and just wanted to see if that cleared up your issue. I just like to know if parts people put on theirs actually do fix the problems, as a tech. Can you elaborate on the "just hesitation when cold and smoking " comment. Is this before or after you replaced the MAF? Is the "when cold" ambient temps, or engine temperatures? Thanks!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The part helped. The engine was cold meant engine temp. The hesitation is just that, hesitation. You get the same thing due to torque management. My pedal responds when touched, so the hesitation was a problem. I still have some smoking, just not as bad. Mostly at higher speeds and throttle amounts and when pulling from a stop quickly to enter traffic.
I tried cleaning the maf sensor but had no luck and had a sensor curve that was just off.

using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts