Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a post on this before but have a new question. My 1993 W250 with 518 auto trans has a little slip or quick shift shortly after it goes into 2nd gear. The trans feels fine everywhere else. It doesn't feel like it slips at all it just has that one place that it does that. It doesn't do it when the truck is cold but after it warms up it does it. I read somewhere that it may be a seal that when the trans fluid is cold its thicker the fluid doesn't get by the seal but when its hot and thinner it slips by. I don't know if that makes any sense or not. My question is, if I remove 48 oz. of fluid and put in 48. oz of Lucas Transmission fix could this possibly help that sense it is thick. I thought maybe increasing the viscosity of the fluid may keep it from getting by the seal. I'm low on dow right now and know I will need a rebuild sometime, just trying to buy some time and hopefully help this problem. I really do appreciate all you guys comments. Thanks for putting up with my questions because I know that some of them are stupid. Thanks

·
First Generation Moderator
2,224 Posts
You need to adjust the bands and take note of the color/smell of the fluid. Change the oil/filter. You can adjust the pressure by the internal adjustment and upshift adjustment (shift time)and also the internal pressure by way of the throttle valve cable, which is an adjustment on the cable sleeve.

Make sure the cable return spring hold the TV cable to the front of the truck. It is located right next to the injection pump.

Reactions: ncstate2

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the transmission fluid and filter changed a couple of months ago and I think he adjusted the bands, not sure. He supposed to be a good trans man but I don't know how familiar he is with this trans. He said their was a little metal in pan and he would just drive it and eventually it would need rebuilding. I'm afraid if I start trying to do the stuff you listed I'll make a mess of it and make it worse. I wish I could do it. Just seems like every time I try to do a little project on truck it turns into a nightmare.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Pretty much any repair to do with 2nd gear complaints short of a broken band can be corrected without removing the trans and they are fairly easy. If the band was properly adjusted and it's still doing it I would pull the pan and the valve body and replace the seales on the servo and accumulater. You may have a broken accumulater piston or spring. Again, very easy to do witht he trans in the truck.

Adding any kind of goop may delay an inevitable failure, but if you repair it now before you wear the lining off the band you can save yourself a pile of money, probably in the order of over $1000.

Trouble is finding a shop that will do just the repair. Everyone is going to want to sell you an overhaul.

Steve g

Reactions: ncstate2
1 - 4 of 4 Posts