Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
vvv SOME PEOPLE'S KIDS vvv
11,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to add zinc to my oil since I have a more aggressive cam.. I cannot find the differences between these two. Any one know if they are close to the same? Lucas is considerably cheaper and you get 16oz vs 4oz of ZDDP. Hamilton recommends running just 4oz per oil change so that so what I do, I can get 4 oil changes out of 1 bottle of Lucas..

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Save your money,

The additives like zink/ZDDP are not working because diesel oil has a lot of detergents.
Detergent oils do not allow foreign matter to stick to engine parts. Zinc being a foreign matter is held in suspension and is not allowed to stick to surfaces such as the lifters and cam lobes.

If we were talking about old classics, then some Zddp can be beneficial but you also have to try to find backward compatible oil that is not have a lot of detergents in it

·
vvv SOME PEOPLE'S KIDS vvv
11,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a reason why cam builders tell you to add zinc? I've seen some pics where guys didn't and the cam lobes were pretty worn. These were on aftermarket cams

·
Registered
881 Posts
add it zinc will plate under pressure

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Geoff @ Colt said he's tested several and will only recommend the ZDDP plus. Thats what I run on his billet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.