Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for the list.Today I went to the city(Calgary) and my truck was due for an oil change.As
the truck has 93000 km I figured to flush the engine,
drain the transfer case ,front and rear diffs,fuel filter
and grease everything.

After replacing everything with new synthetic lubes
quite expensive ,but I decided to use them in both of
our vehicles.
Each diff cost $101.99 ! ...each diff. Total bill was a
little over 600 bucks.

It took around 1.5 hours and the kids worked well.

I think I got hosed,the manager assured me that the same work at the dealer would cost quite a bit more.

What are your experiences with this?

As a matter of fact I maintained and repaired my 1986 GMC
4x4 for 22 years and now my son is driving it,so I know I
could have done the same work,in the same time,with equally good lubes, for one [email protected]#$!~k of a lot less.

·
Registered
205 Posts
ive only let a lube shop do an oil change 2 times because i had to get out of town the same day. you are way better off doing it yourself if you can and never let them do a fuel filter i think they charge 100+ and you can do that job in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
155 Posts
ive used a lube shop 1 time, right after knee surgery, only cause i couldnt lay down:lol4: usually on the diffs, they dont remove the diff covers, they just suck the fluid out from the fill plug. I just changed fluid in everything on my truck, both diffs, tranny, t case, engine, and i dont think i spent more than 300

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
dealer front & rear diff = :banghead: $234.00 / self $95.00:party018:
dealer fuel filter change = :banghead: $92.00 / self $17.00 & 5 minutes (baldwin pf9799) steep, i know but i like giving local guy my business):party018:
dealer tranny fluid change (service fill) = :banghead: $230.00 / self = cost of 4 qts:party018:
transfer case = cost of 2 qts:party018:

moral of the story is: D.I.Y. :headbang:

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
I have a question for the list.Today I went to the city(Calgary) and my truck was due for an oil change.As
the truck has 93000 km I figured to flush the engine,
drain the transfer case ,front and rear diffs,fuel filter
and grease everything.

After replacing everything with new synthetic lubes
quite expensive ,but I decided to use them in both of
our vehicles.
Each diff cost $101.99 ! ...each diff. Total bill was a
little over 600 bucks.

It took around 1.5 hours and the kids worked well.

I think I got hosed,the manager assured me that the same work at the dealer would cost quite a bit more.

What are your experiences with this?

As a matter of fact I maintained and repaired my 1986 GMC
4x4 for 22 years and now my son is driving it,so I know I
could have done the same work,in the same time,with equally good lubes, for one [email protected]#$!~k of a lot less.
Short answer. Yes, you got hosed.

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
I am not sure but I believe the Full synthetic gear oil is at least $20 a litre. Either way, take your truck in for a transmission flush but the rest you should be doing yourself if you have the time, space and knowledge. If you are lacking on any of those three then take your truck in but shop around for a good price first.

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
The other thing is you are going to get a lot of answers from our friends down south. Many of them do not know much about cost differences between our two countries. I am not sure of the answer because I do my own services but if you ask this question in the Alberta chapter you will likely get a more accurate response.

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
i just went to a vavoline lube shop because i took a company truck there and they seemed knowledgeable. i chose to have it done because i felt lazy and they gave me a good price. i am very capable of doing it myself but for the price i did not want to lay under it for that long. they changed the front diff, rear diff, tranny fluid, transfer case, and oil all with synthetics except the tranny and atf in the transfer case for 248.09 out the door

·
Registered
188 Posts
Think about what the lube guys did and how long it took. Then add the cost of materials. We all know it can be done cheaper yourself, but these people need to make a living too. There labor rate is much cheaper per hour than what I charge!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts