Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Lube for 5spd getrag

1836 Views 18 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  coma700
What do I put in the manual tranny. It is a 91 d250
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· I bleed Diesel
2,222 Posts
5-30 mobil one fully senthetic with syntec. works GREAT add an extra quart or you will burn 5thgear

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello I had 5/30 mobile 1 full synthetic// I could not find syntech, but there was something like it syn**** which i used. it only took 4 qts. Both mechanics walked up to me and asked me if I really wanted to put motor oil in the transmission. NOW I AM WORRIED!!! tHEY PUT IT IN. HELP:shock:

· Registered
2,578 Posts
my dad and local mechanic swear up and down that your not supposed to put motor oil in it but i been runnin it and so did the previous owner. so im happy to say i proved them wrong.

· Registered
571 Posts
Perhaps they should read the FSM. It specifically calls for 4 qts of 5w-30. I use 5qts, fill through the shifter hole.

· Premium Member
11,940 Posts
It sure takes a lot of convincing for some people. If I recall there was even a tag on the plug advising to use MOTOR OIL.
The extra quart is to assure lube for bearing between input and output shaft. A weak point on this tranny.

· Registered
332 Posts
i just changed mine from whatever kinda grease-like fluid was in it to mobil one 5W 30 and it drives so much smoother. i took the fill plug out of the side and took the shifter boot off and then ran some tubing that fit tight in the hole into the cab with a funnel on the end to fill it....then just wipe the end of the tubing and blow the oil through and pull it out....then get the plug in quick before it drains out. its low tech and takes some extra time to fill but it worked fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.