Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, guys here's one for your reading pleasure and my misfortune.

About a year ago on a trip pulling a small trailer, I got horrible mileage, bad power, smokin, and threw two codes: 0216 and 1693. Took out the Edge EZ, within a week threw the codes again, put the EZ back in but on a different setting.

25,000 miles later still running decent until I haul some hay for a man (30,000+ GVW) and the EGT constantly pushing 1400 pre-turbo with a lack of power. A couple days later I'm pullin a tractor on my flatbed and can't get past 55 in 5th gear without the EGT goin through the roof. Same codes still coming up, I'm told its an injection timing error. I took the Edge EZ out again thinkin it was not working right. Appearantly thats not the problem.

Now every morning when I go to work and every afternoon when I come home, the truck will start and idle fine but when I let out the clutch in second like normal, the engine has no power, nearly stalls out, and no throttle response for a few seconds. After that it runs alright.

Now the part you're all askin yourself about: "Has he checked the fuel pressure?" Idling in the driveway 13psi, crusin through the gears 9-10psi, on it hard gettin on the highway 4-6psi.

Would replacing the lift pump be enough to fix my problems or has the VP44 already been damaged? Any input on electric pumps on the framerail like a Holley blue pump, and somethin like a vulcan big line kit?

TIA -Lee :beer

· SuperDuperMod
2,408 Posts
thats amazing you made it 25000 miles on the 0216 code. they call that the vp death code. with your symptoms i wouldsay its time for an injection pump.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume the VP has been slowly dying for awhile and the performance lost was so little at a time I probably never noticed it. Will performance and driveability be a night and day difference if I replace the VP and LP?? With the Edge EZ I've been pushin 23 MPG on the highway on long trips. I hope that number doesn't go down when the engine gets the fuel its supposed to.

· Registered
48 Posts
I have the same problem and it bother me every day mostly in the morning or cold engine. Same codes and the same q: will replacement of LP with beter one fix the problem or vp should be replaced too?

· Registered
2,622 Posts
You need a new injection pump... and yes, they can go quite long on the 0216; I nursed mine for 13 months full well knowing I had an 0216.

While you're at it, it's time to replace your factory lift pump with something better...

Midwest fuel injection can probably hook you up...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.