Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Lowering a Megacab+Performance benefits

9027 Views 17 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Taquache
Hello i just ordered the 2" shackle drop for my truck and decided that im gonna start working on the suspension on my truck since its always bothered me . I also would like the benefits you get from dropping the rear instead of raising.

i was thinking about adding maybe a sway bar,traction bar or shocks but money is the limiting factor. Would you suggest that i start off with rear shocks since im gonna drop the rear and than work from there.

I think it would be either the shocks or sway bar that i would do next. I just hate how soft and bumpy this ride is in the curves and how much i have to slow down.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Future Fly Boy!
2,228 Posts
i asked a similar question awhile back and no one really answered my question...all they say get a carli leveling kit:confused013: you might want to pm IC Smoke, cause im pretty sure he lowered his truck, i believe he actually used 1/2 springs in the front...good luck though, maybe someone will post up something usefull...ill be checking back cause im in the same boat:thumbsup:

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What kind of shocks should i get? What makes the Bilsteins so superior to Monroe reflex or KYB Magnum monomax? I'd like stiffer shocks up front and softer ones out back since i dont tow. Any suggestions??

· Diesel Junkie
10,448 Posts
I'll be watching this too, untill I bag the truck :hehe:

· Registered
88 Posts
Hello i just ordered the 2" shackle drop for my truck and decided that im gonna start working on the suspension on my truck since its always bothered me . I also would like the benefits you get from dropping the rear instead of raising.

i was thinking about adding maybe a sway bar,traction bar or shocks but money is the limiting factor. Would you suggest that i start off with rear shocks since im gonna drop the rear and than work from there.

I think it would be either the shocks or sway bar that i would do next. I just hate how soft and bumpy this ride is in the curves and how much i have to slow down.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
They actually make a shackle drop for the rear of a 3rd gen? Since the shackle points down, you would have to shorten the shackle. But if you shorten the shackle you run into the problem of the shackle binding up before the spring goes fully flat. Hmmm....... I would really like to see how that cycles. I would only assume you will run into spring issues down the road.......

As far as the shocks go, it all depends on what you want to do with the truck. If you want tunable shocks will have to go with a Bilstein 7100 or fox 2.0. These are far superior to a Monroe, KYB, or Rancho. The reason being is that these are monotube shocks meaning that the oil and nitrogen never mix together which will give you a much more precise shock dampening. Heck even the regular Bilstein HD and 5100 are far superior to anything else on the market because of their internal reservoir.

If you want to set your truck up to turn better I would soften up the front sway bar a bit and put a stiff sway bar on the rear. Same thing with shock tuning but we would have to get more into specifics when we start getting into the shock tuning. Anyway, you want to set it up like this so that you can get better rotation out of these pigs.

· Registered
3,516 Posts
if its two wheel drivw the shackle points up. thus the need for a longer one, and the benefits are better looks, better mileage do to less drag, and better performance power wise because you generally go with a smaller tire.... less rolling mass.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess i shouldve have mentioned i'm a 2wd

Hey Taq i figured you might wander over here haha

I planned on goin with softer shocks in the front any suggestions? Also stiffer in the rear anyways so i just need suggestions for types...I dont know if i should do shocks first or rear sway bar...i never tow if that makes a difference in how i should run shocks.

I'm looking for better hanndling from my megacab so its not so jumpy and can accelerate through the turn for a change lol. Maybe i can turn it into a mega gocart!

· Registered
1,639 Posts
I just lowered my Mega cab(in the rear) with some 2.5" longer shackles from Don Thuren...
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/show-time/155440-drop-shackles-mega.html

You have a 2500 right?

I dont have room for a rear sway bar, just because of the 5" exhaust, at least I think, but im sure you could fab up a way to mount one around bigger exhaust...
As for the shocks, not sure who makes some for our trucks, with a shorter overall range.

For the front, you're kind of limited, maybe chop 1/4-1/2 a coil, and for the rear you can go with some drop shackles and take a leaf or two out of the spring pack. Maybe add some ladder/traction bars to keep the rear planted and prevent axle wrap?

· Diesel Junkie
10,448 Posts
I wouldnt go too stiff of shocks in the rear, yess it would have less body roll but empty the truck bounces around too much I think, I cant wait for my bags!!!! :drool2:

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know your too lucky with the bags. If they dont work for you ill PM you my address. When my truck rolls .90g well go autoX hahaha.

I wish i had the funds for that. As for the shocks i'm gonna wait till after i lower it and add sway bar. I was actually thinking about doing the shocks reverse with stiffer up front and softer out back to compensate, but i think the lower height may be able to use a stiffer shock so maybe stiff all around. I think lowering and sway bar alone will really help this suspension out.

I really don't need to drop my truck as much as level it out, since i still do some 2x4 offroading for hunting season and my truck has seen mud somehow going through tons of it flawlessely (knock on wood). I do think the stock shocks blow more than an 120psi air compressor.

Taq thanks for the idea on dropping the rear end i've been waiting a while and the suns xoming out in Florida probably just so i can install them when they come.

· Diesel Junkie
10,448 Posts
haha nice autoX in the mega!!! I wont be running the bag for about a year, ive got to save up for them my self

· Diesel Junkie
10,448 Posts
I say sway bar :headbang:

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well i guess you got inside my head because i just ordered a sway bar hahaha i just felt i realllllllllllllllllllllly need one hahahaha...you really know me Taq....I'm gonna install the sway bar first than drop it just to see differences...Plus the sway bar should be a lil quicker on the install...

· Diesel Junkie
10,448 Posts
Great minds and all :headbang: let me know how that sway bar works for you, and do you have a link?

· Diesel Junkie
10,448 Posts
:ah: thanks bud I will have to get one my self turn this bad boy in to a sweet road machine

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.