Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading a lot and although I am not very mechanical, I think I have discovered what I think I can do without having to do anything after market. I put 4600s on last week and replaced the original shocks.

First, I tow a 21' bass boat and don't want to sacrifice towing. The boat package weighs around 4k. I will also have gear in the bed with a cap, etc.

My plan is to remove the two bottom blocks (spacers) out of the spring pack and possibly the overload spring. I'm on the fence about the overload spring. Also, the body guy I talked to said the existing u bolts should be fine, but I will defer to the experts here. He said that making sure they are super tight is very important when they go back on. Undertightening the ubolts in his opinion is the cause of problems.

Any other thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. I don't want to go cazy on lowering...yet. :beer:

·
Diesel Junkie
9,209 Posts
you can do it, removing the blocks wont affect load capacity

If you need to you can add washers to the top of the u bolts to take up the space lost by removing the blocks

Reactions: Mexico

·
Diesel Junkie
9,209 Posts
Also, make sure to tighten the u bolts back up evenly so that the axle is centered and pinion angle is correct

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Taq. I think I have read a hundred of your posts...

What do you think about the overload spring...stay or go?

·
Diesel Junkie
9,209 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
You can pretty much put 4k in the bed of one of these trucks

You'll be fine towing that with no overload

Reactions: Mexico

·
Diesel Junkie
9,209 Posts
I agree that you'd probably be ok towing what you've said you've got with no overloads but it'll likely squat. I've towed a RCSB 1/2 ton 12v on a gooseneck with mine with out overloads and my helper bags have a leak so essentially they didn't do much most of the trip.

It rode slightly rougher but wasn't very noticeable between having air and not. I can't comment on how much squat as its hard to tell with no bed on the truck

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again everyone.

I will take the two spacers out and leave the overload in. I'll take some before and after photos hopefully to see how noticeable it is...if at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys...not sure if anyone will see this in time, but we are into the pack.

The spacers have a bolt (pin) in the bottom that fits into the axle. We can get the bolts out of the spacers, but if we take both out, does the bolt in the bottom (or pin) go back into the pack?

Thank you for any help...

·
Registered
438 Posts
The pack is going to come apart when you take the pin out, pretty violently, you'll wanna clamp it

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We are all good on the pack. Clamps in place. ;)

We were trying to see where the middle pin that fits down into the axle goes...but now that we have the spacers apart...it appears it should fit right back into the pack...minus the two spacers.

Thanks,

·
Diesel Junkie
9,209 Posts
my 07 did not have a place to put the center of the three pins back in the spring pack when I pulled the over load.

When you are re assembling everything let the axle hang by the u bolts and tighten across and evenly to keep everything lined up correctly

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys.

Got the pack back together on the driver side...and the pin went back into the pack. Will tackle the other side in the morning.

·
Registered
173 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks...with what we have done, we are waiting to see how it looks with the topper and bed rug (fishing tackle, etc.) and boat hooked up before we move any further.

I will have some pics posted after we get back from WI this week.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Sorry for the unreal delay. I finally put new rubber on today and took some photos. Before it had mismatched tires...ugly.

image.jpg

Sorry again for the late...very late...reply.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'd love to see a 3rd gen with a cummins lowered, I would probably lower mine but I bought it lifted already and no sense in wasting money on more parts. Can't see the pics FYI.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not sure what I did, but the photos didn't come through. I need to figure out picture posting. Let me try and fix that. Sorry...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts