Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a new lp in my son's 99 auto quad completely stock truck. It has 278000 km and had the original lp. The old one was not running once in a while but still putting out 8psi when it did run.
Got a stock pump from Cummins that they said had been updated too many times to count. It was only $229 with tax. I didn't think that was too bad considering other places were asking more for a jobber will fit pump with little or no warranty. Guys don't beat me up too bad but these trucks are getting older and its hard to shell out big dollars on a old truck worth???
Good thing its paid for.LOL
The new pump put out 12 psi on the gauge. Same gauge as first test. Who knows how accurate the gauge is?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Since you already paid for the new lift pump and installed it I would just run what you have.The best thing you could do now is to get a fuel pressure gauge in the cab so you can monitor your pressure also find someone who has a scanner and check the truck for any codes.Usually when your lift pump quits on you your injection pump will take a dump soon thereafter and it is @ 1000$ just for the pump.Also you can use the search function on this site to answer almost any question you have about your Cummins.Your truck may have some miles on it but you said it yourself it's paid for and with a little TLC these trucks will last a long long time.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My son bought this truck not too long ago and it ran but not very good and wouldn't start once in a while. Ran the codes on a scaner and no codes. Engine light on. And I don't know why????
It finialy wouldn't run at all and the electrical was good to the pump but no fuel pumping at high pressure to the injectors. We changed out the vp and tested the lift pump at the same time. This is when we found the faulty lp.
We didn't want to spend another load on a raptor so we just went stock and were surprised and how cheap the pump was right from cummins.

·
Registered
218 Posts
How is the truck running now that you changed the LP and the VP?Check engine light stay off or is it still lit?Have you changed all your filters lately?If the check engine is still on there should be codes present maybe try another scan tool.If all is well no codes or anything and the truck still seems like a dog you could always try adjusting your valves if they are out even a little you will lose performance and fuel mileage.Also if your trans is on it's way out you will have very little power too.It could be a million things or just one the best thing is to try for codes first and then start narrowing it down one thing at a time.:banghead:

·
Registered
963 Posts
I got my ADog off ebay and there were many other types and prices also. Its possible the engine light will turn off after like ten key cycles, if the light was for a bad VP.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
the stock pumps have a plastic drive hub that fails (so motor runs but pump does not pump,if you have more time than money, it will drastically hepl your stock LP if you relocate it back near the tank, as it gets it off the vibrating diesel engine, and it allows the pump to push fuel instead of trying to suck fuel from 15ft away, I experimented a while back when my Airdog failed, I ended up getting some fittings and plumbed the stock pump where the AD used to sit, there was a drastic improvement in psi output and it held 3-4psi higher when at WO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts