Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My left lower ball joint is not wanting to leave the ol'truck. Does any one have any input I have broken 2 pullers an beat it like there is no tomorrow. Its a 02, 2500, 4x4 Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
heat the joint and the housing red hot have a your hammer and punch ready.after you heat it red hot pour cold water on it right away the ball joint should drive right out.good luck

·
Registered
191 Posts
watch heating the ball joint it can explode. heat the knuckle then use an air hammer and beat it out.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The safest way si to take the knuckle to a shop were they can press it out. They should only charge about $10.00 to $20.00. They can push out the old and push in the new. Just about any local mechanic shop will have a press. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the responds I did get it out with a lil heat and alota hitting. It is on a 4x4 unit so gettting it to my press was not an option. Thanks...

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
heat nice air hammer and a puller will get iti

G

·
If you heat the ball joint, be aware that it can explode. Had it happen, and got lucky, no one was seriously hurt. (even luckier, since the guy who took the hit was the EMS out of all of us). Second, if you heat the ball joint or the steel around it, under NO circumstances should you pour water on it. You may substantially change the crystalline structure of the steel, rendering it brittle. Allow it to cool on its own.

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
yeah no quick cooling bad idea

·
Registered
222 Posts
dont worry... I was in your shoes last friday..... I planned on replacing both sides upper and lower ball joints..... well I replaced all my ball joints lower and upper on both sides both wheel bearings and axle seals......definitly not a fun job..... and yes the ball joints were the hardest part...... I feel your pain man

1 - 9 of 9 Posts