Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Are the WIF/WTS lights coming on when you turn the key on? If they are, the CEL bulb might just be burnt out. If they're not, I strongly suspect a dead PCM (which may not be 'fried' but merely not getting power/ground for whatever reason) and you likely won't get any scan codes.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Are the WIF/WTS lights coming on when you turn the key on? If they are, the CEL bulb might just be burnt out. If they're not, I strongly suspect a dead PCM (which may not be 'fried' but merely not getting power/ground for whatever reason) and you likely won't get any scan codes.
Thanks, what are the WIF/WTS lights? I get the one for the grid heater, and the brakes ABS and a couple others

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If you look around the engine bay you can see several ground points. The FSM also has schematics. In the '97 manual they start at page 8W-90-10. Speaking of that, how about creating a signature now that you are over 100 posts, or are we just supposed to guess year, transmission type and 2 or 4 WD.
Thanks GAmes, I'll look at those in the morning. And I'll see if I can get a signature in right now. I don't have a computer at home so I've been procrastinating that. I've got a 97 with 4 wheel drive, 2500, with a 47RE tranny which is about to be swapped out for a NV4500. (as soon as the tranny shop finishes rebuilding one they have there) its all stock as far as I can tell but I'm planning on putting in a GSK kit when I do the swap. Hopefully I can figure out now where to to that signature

·
Registered
899 Posts
Thanks, what are the WIF/WTS lights? I get the one for the grid heater, and the brakes ABS and a couple others
Water-In-Fuel and Wait To Start. That's really good news if you are getting bulb checks. They are controlled by the PCM and none of them coming on would indicate a dead PCM. Some of them coming on indicates dead bulbs, which is much cheaper to fix :D I believe the ABS light is controlled by a separate unit, though.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks, I think I do get that wait to start light, and maybe the WIF. I'll check tomorrow when I'm back home. I get the buzzer for the grid heater even now that the heaters don't come on. The ABS is on all the time, I think. It was disabled when I got the truck. I'll have that info tomorrow.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Everything but the beginners thread. Click on the link.

Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
Thanks, it won't allow me to go to that link so I went back and opened the beginner's thread page, and then clicked on their link to the signature form, but got the same notice saying I wasn't allowed to open that page. I may have to contact the main office, looks like. I agree it's a good thing to have

·
Registered
113 Posts
My check engine light isn’t working not even when I turn the key on. I’ll be posting what the scan tool says in a week tho
If your CEL is not lighting up with key on. You either have a burned out or missing bulb. Which is easy to check.
Or usually a problem with the PCM. Either it is bad. Or there are ground /power issues or shorts.
It would be at least nice to know what year truck you have. OBD1? OBD2?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
If your CEL is not lighting up with key on. You either have a burned out or missing bulb. Which is easy to check.
Or usually a problem with the PCM. Either it is bad. Or there are ground /power issues or shorts.
It would be at least nice to know what year truck you have. OBD1? OBD2?
Thanks, I'll look at the bulb today, I heard it was easy to get to. I've been trying to enter that info and the forum keeps telling me I can't open that page. I'm going to contact management tomorrow. Its a 97 2500 with stock Cummins, 47re tranny about to be swapped out for a NV4500, stock everything. 4X4. I appreciate that. What is OBD?

·
Registered
113 Posts
OBD= Onboard diagnostics. OBD1 you can access codes with the key on off method.
OBD2 you usually need a scanner to get all codes. IIRC they changed to OBD2 in 1998 when they went electronic.
Just wanted to make sure what year you had.

·
Registered
899 Posts
96 and 97 have a kind of 'almost' OBD-2. It uses the OBD-2 connector and most OBD-2 scanners work, but it doesn't have the full complement of vehicle/engine data (wasn't legally required on diesels).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks, I have a scanner coming in a few days but trying to get to the check engine bulb to see if it’s burned out, have cluster cover off but the bulb is supposed to be in the lower left of the tach circle, and that black tach circle is behind the needle and I’m afraid of prying on that needle

·
Registered
17,832 Posts
It is not inside the tach! The bulb is on the back of the cluster housing.

Reactions: justwrenchin

·
Registered
113 Posts
You have to pull the gauge cluster out. Cant get to it from the front. Bulb is accessed from the back. With a twist to unlock socket/bulb holder.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
You have to pull the gauge cluster out. Cant get to it from the front. Bulb is accessed from the back. With a twist to unlock socket/bulb holder.
Thanks, I was thinking maybe I could bring the cluster out, I’ll get underneath it, it ain’t moving

·
Registered
899 Posts
There are 4 screws and it kinda comes right out. Gotta remove the knee panel below the steering wheel though. Helps to tilt the steering wheel down (Do all the trucks have tilt steering wheels? not sure). There's probably a little something extra with the cable if you've got an auto, don't really know about that.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Ok got the bulb out and it looks like new, but it came out in its plastic socket that has two pin holes and there’s no pins or wires anywhere near where it came out, which was the bottom of the cluster. (In fact the two wires to the right of it were also missing, which according to my manual are the oil and generator warning lights.)
So back to the big question, would this lack of wiring cause the PCM to underpower the ESS and IAT by 90% and I am guessing not, as the wires had to have been missing when I bought the truck two years ago whereas the alternator, tach, speedo and intake heater all went down in the last few months.
96 and 97 have a kind of 'almost' OBD-2. It uses the OBD-2 connector and most OBD-2 scanners work, but it doesn't have the full complement of vehicle/engine data (wasn't legally required on diesels).
Thanks, so I guess I need a OBD1 scanner. I ordered a scanner for $60 on eBay and they sent me one without asking what kind of vehicle I had, and when I realized that I asked don’t you need some info and they said nope, it’ll work on anything, and I suddenly realized I probably wasn’t getting much of a deal

·
Registered
17,832 Posts
There isn't a green plastic circuit board?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Didn't you say you have a 97? 96+97 == OBD2 scanner. 94-95 == OBD1. What do you mean by missing wiring? I don't believe there are any wires going directly to the bulbs, it feeds off contacts on the circuit board if I recall correctly.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts