Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let’s get the details of the truck out of the way first right? 2001 Ram 3500 ECLB dually. She’s a 24v NV4500 truck with 377k and a rebuild at 350k. All stock everything besides a fass to my knowledge. So the problem is between each gear in the lower rpm range (until about 16-1700) she’s rolling some coal, not excessive but enough for people to not want to be behind me. This isn’t just when i floor it it’s daily driving unless I’m barely on throttle crawling. I can’t quite tell if it’s down on power but I’m new to these trucks. I checked for boost leaks and didn’t find anything, replaced the air filter and I’m currently running some treatment through the fuel. Any other suggestions? It’s almost like it’s throwing too much fuel before building boost. I’ll attach a pic of the turbo setup just so you guys can tell me if it all looks kosher.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Scanned for any codes? Do you have gauges installed - EGT, FP, Boost? And what was rebuilt @ 350K?

·
Registered
22,311 Posts
Any codes? Any oil in Turbo? How old is VP44?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just scanned it yesterday no codes stored or pending. No gauges yet, taking care of some maintenance issues first then those are first thing

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have no history on the vp so lord knows, turbo looks clean
Is it rolling coal with the clutch in/off throttle? Might be blowing black smoke because you are shifting too early at low rpms. Try shifting into the next gear at a higher speed. The nv4500 has some pretty good gaps between gears You can try taking off your air filter pipe and check your turbo compressor wheel for any back and forth/side to side play

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it rolling coal with the clutch in/off throttle? Might be blowing black smoke because you are shifting too early at low rpms. Try shifting into the next gear at a higher speed. The nv4500 has some pretty good gaps between gears You can try taking off your air filter pipe and check your turbo compressor wheel for any back and forth/side to side play
Only under load i can rev the piss out of it in neutral and nothing, I’m shifting at 2k average if i take it above that it sounds very angry, should i be shifting higher than that?

·
Registered
22,311 Posts
Will it go to over 3000 if you ask it to? Sounds like beginning of timing failure in VP. 3300 should be red line. It should run and pull fine to 3k. Lots of people with 410's run 2200-2600 all the time especially shifting manual or cruising 60-80mph.. So if it gets rough after 2000 it sounds like timing piston going bad in VP.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Only under load i can rev the piss out of it in neutral and nothing, I’m shifting at 2k average if i take it above that it sounds very angry, should i be shifting higher than that?
If I'm ripping with mine I usually shift a little before 3,000. If just normal driving it's 2,200-2.500.

I used to shift at 2,000, but she seems much happier with a few more RPM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will it go to over 3000 if you ask it to? Sounds like beginning of timing failure in VP. 3300 should be red line. It should run and pull fine to 3k. Lots of people with 410's run 2200-2600 all the time especially shifting manual or cruising 60-80mph.. So if it gets rough after 2000 it sounds like timing piston going bad in VP.
I’ll get back to you in 45 minutes when i get off work and let ya know what’s going on at that rpm range

If I'm ripping with mine I usually shift a little before 3,000. If just normal driving it's 2,200-2.500.

I used to shift at 2,000, but she seems much happier with a few more RPM.
I’m gonna try to rev her out a little higher when i get off work and get back to ya

·
Registered
245 Posts
Only under load i can rev the piss out of it in neutral and nothing, I’m shifting at 2k average if I take it above that it sounds very angry, should i be shifting higher than that?
If you are revving up 2k then I think your shifting is just fine. I think you are getting too much fuel and not enough boost, if your engine is bone stock then i think you either have a boost leak issue or something is up with the turbo. How are you testing for boost leaks? There are some boost leak test kits you can buy or make yourself and it goes over the intake of your turbo, then you add compressed air and listen/feel for air leaks, When I first bought my truck and started adding power, there were some pretty good holes in the intercooler boots and the intake manifold gasket was brittle as crispy bacon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you are revving up 2k then I think your shifting is just fine. I think you are getting too much fuel and not enough boost, if your engine is bone stock then i think you either have a boost leak issue or something is up with the turbo. How are you testing for boost leaks? There are some boost leak test kits you can buy or make yourself and it goes over the intake of your turbo, then you add compressed air and listen/feel for air leaks, When I first bought my truck and started adding power, there were some pretty good holes in the intercooler boots and the intake manifold gasket was brittle as crispy bacon.
That’s what I keep thinking i mean my VP seems to be in good shape starts right up and runs fine cold and cold no misses or anything. My buddy hooked up a boost leak machine but it went into the intercooler piping that goes to the cold side of the turbo so i think i might buy a kit to double check

·
Registered
110 Posts
Agree it sounds a boost leak. If you get a boost gauge that would be a good way to tell how much the turbo is pushing.

·
Registered
245 Posts
That’s what I keep thinking i mean my VP seems to be in good shape starts right up and runs fine cold and cold no misses or anything. My buddy hooked up a boost leak machine but it went into the intercooler piping that goes to the cold side of the turbo so i think i might buy a kit to double check
You might want to check your turbocharger compressor wheel and pull it back and forth and see if there is any play like that, and side to side. If its moving around like that your turbo is worn out.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
As you likely know, smoke is a sign of unburned fuel. Either a lack of air, too much fuel, or a combination of both.

Agreed with what others have said. Re-test for boost leaks. You can also spray soapy water around important areas (e.g. exhaust manifold, intercooler boots, intake manifold) while the engine is idling to spot leaks. Clean your IAT sensor as it impacts how the ECM controls fueling and timing. Install a new clean air filter if you haven't already done so. I highly suggest you get a full set of gauges. A boost gauge in this case would be extremely helpful for further troubleshooting.

·
Registered
13,344 Posts
assuming that there are no boost leaks and the turbo is not fubar then look at your map sensor. nearly all the fueling tables in the ecm are fueling based on inputs from the map sensor, aka how much boost.

If your map sensor is stuck reading say 10 psi as the low min then you can see this issue. Get a live data scan tool on the truck and see if the map values increase and decrease in a manner than makes sense compared to load and rpm.

In theory a stuck map sensor should throw a code, however my 2nd gen many years ago had this issue with no code. it wasnt until I read the values from the map sensor that I noticed it would never read under 10 psi of boost.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts