Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a used isspro pyro that I bought in the classifieds here. At WOT the highest the gauge reads is 800*. This seems very low to me with the mods that I have. Max boost with the TST on level 4 is right at 28-30 psi. Any ideas if this sounds right. Pyro located on left of manifold as directed.

Nv4500
Stock injectors
AD100
Fuel pressure 15 idle/14 wot
Hx35 with boost elbow
TST Pm3
Van Aaken box(timing only)

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
What does the pyro say when the truck is idling?

That does sound very low.

Isspro EV or EV2?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't remember exactly, but I think right around 300-400 at idle. Don't drive it everyday. I can check tomorrow. Is it possible to have a bad thermocouple? This is the style that I have. Mechanical

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Usually EGT's are about ~300 at idle.

Yes, thermocouples can go bad.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any way to test thermocouple for calibration?

·
Registered
14,898 Posts
WOT isnt always going to give the same results for all trucks since not only is everyones truck here not stock but elevation, angle of road, speed, what gear, etc... all play part of what the EGT will be.

Better to stay with whats most common, and thats idle temp and freeway cruise temp. Knowing what the relative boost is during freeway cruising and WOT helps as well since the two affect each other. Idling for more than a few minutes should be around 275*-300* for a normal running temp engine. A cold engine in cold weather the EGT's will be around 250*-275* at startup. Cruising down the freeway on a normal day doing 65-70 mph on flat ground the EGT's will be around 650*-700*. Also to note, just because you hammer the throttle doesnt mean the EGT needle will peg because the boost offsets the fueling as the cylinder heat and engine RPM increase. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Wjackson11x

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very well explained and those are the numbers that I am seeing. I haven't pulled my 6000lb camper yet. I'm sure that will make a difference. Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: KATOOM

·
Registered
126 Posts
get one of those lazier temp gauges and hit your manifold and compare it to the pyro. even better would be if you had a good DMM with a temp probe you could rig to the manifold and run the wires into the cab so you could drive it

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
get one of those lazier temp gauges and hit your manifold and compare it to the pyro. even better would be if you had a good DMM with a temp probe you could rig to the manifold and run the wires into the cab so you could drive it
I've got a laser thermometer since I'm on the HVAC business. I wish it was as easy as that while driving. My idle numbers seem to be normal. I'll hook the camper up and take it for a stroll.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts