Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed yesterday on the way home from work my coolant temp only got up to around 170* it usually runs around 195 to 200 the temp out side wasn't that cold it was 34 and on the way into work tonight it only got to 170 again and the outside temp was 51 I was wondering what could make this happen maybe the t-stat is goin out any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Marshall

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thining the t stat is suck open...

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I noticed yesterday on the way home from work my coolant temp only got up to around 170* it usually runs around 195 to 200 the temp out side wasn't that cold it was 34 and on the way into work tonight it only got to 170 again and the outside temp was 51 I was wondering what could make this happen maybe the t-stat is goin out any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Marshall
Thermostat is not going out, its already out. It is stuck open. Temp should rise to about 200 as it is warming up, and then it will open and usually drop to 185 or so, and stabilize around 190-195. If it slowly crawls up to 170, it is stuck open. Fix it before winter, else it will slowly crawl up to 140 in the dead of winter...

Reactions: jharpine

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I was guessing goin tomorrow to pick up a new thermostat How big of a pain in the arce are they to change.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Depends on a couple things. EGR/Cooler delete is a big one. If the EGR is deleted or disabled, it takes a very long time to heat up. My truck right now takes the 15-20 min drive to the highway and then, 10 mins at highway speeds to get up to temp. My stat is not stuck open, my truck gets up to about 210-215 and then the stat opens and then to 195-205. It takes forever when the temps are cold. Keep an eye on it first thing in the morning. Keep it running at 2000 rpms or so and then watch for it to get up to 210 or so and look for the drop to 200 ish. Like I said, if i didnt pay attention in the am I would think the same thing. I ordered a winter front as well to help with warmups.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just have the DPF deleated for right now I have not done the EGR or cooler deleate yet. I let it warm up for 15 min and it takes me 20 minutes to get to work and it only got to 160 usually runs 200 or just below even when it has been cold here the last few weeks

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Yes I do to. The JR will actually command 0% on your EGR system, in effect Deleting it while its on the truck. The best test to make sure is run your truck until the temps stop going up. It was 26 here this am, and it took almost 30 mins to get up to temp. As I said before, run it around 2000rpms, until the temps either a) never get to 200, and you have a stuck stat. or b) it takes a long time to warm up, eventually getting to 210 and the stat opens and your temps drop to the 195-205 temp. I think your truck is fine, I just dont think its getting enough time to warm up. Im amazed at how long and how hard I have to drive mine, before it finally gets up to temp.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Im amazed at how long and how hard I have to drive mine, before it finally gets up to temp.
I agree. This will be my 4th winter with the truck and every time it starts I have to re-learn 2 things: it takes forever to warm up, and it gets sucky mpg with the winter fuel. But it will probably surprise me again next winter.

I have a 13 mile commute which is half country roads and half freeway. In the dead of winter (still 30F temps around here) it isn't up to 190 when I get there. Even now, when the morning temps are around 40F it is only barely getting to 190 after 20 minutes driving.

(BTW. The highest temp ever recorded according my edge was 197F.)

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I agree. This will be my 4th winter with the truck and every time it starts I have to re-learn 2 things: it takes forever to warm up, and it gets sucky mpg with the winter fuel. But it will probably surprise me again next winter.

I have a 13 mile commute which is half country roads and half freeway. In the dead of winter (still 30F temps around here) it isn't up to 190 when I get there. Even now, when the morning temps are around 40F it is only barely getting to 190 after 20 minutes driving.

(BTW. The highest temp ever recorded according my edge was 197F.)
Yeah, im kind of tired of it taking so long. Im getting a 180-190 stat. I also ordered this winter front. I hear they help quite a bit.
Products - Custom Truck Grilles Winter fronts, RZR Products, Tractor Attachments

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Yeah, im kind of tired of it taking so long. Im getting a 180-190 stat. I also ordered this winter front. I hear they help quite a bit.
Products - Custom Truck Grilles Winter fronts, RZR Products, Tractor Attachments
A lower temp stat won't help it warm up any faster. A thermostat is basically a valve that opens/closes at a particular temp. When it is closed your coolant can't flow (much). When it is open the coolant flows. So if you get one that opens at a lower temp it just means your coolant will start flowing (cooling the engine) earlier. Getting one that opens higher also won't help it heat up any faster...just means it will get hotter before it starts cooling.

Pretty winter fronts BTW!

·
Registered
626 Posts

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
A lower temp stat won't help it warm up any faster. A thermostat is basically a valve that opens/closes at a particular temp. When it is closed your coolant can't flow (much). When it is open the coolant flows. So if you get one that opens at a lower temp it just means your coolant will start flowing (cooling the engine) earlier. Getting one that opens higher also won't help it heat up any faster...just means it will get hotter before it starts cooling.

Pretty winter fronts BTW!
I guess it really isnt related to the problem the OP is having, I just want to get it running in the 180 to 190 range rather than the 200-204 that it is now.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I went through them and was not happy. Took 2 weeks to speak to him, he says he doesnt check email and phone not listed.

Genos garage has nicer front for same price.
Well shoot that isnt good. :doh: Did you ever get the product and then werent happy with it or did you just cancel. Now you got me worried LOL

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the input guys I think I'm goin to look in to a winter front

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I went through them and was not happy. Took 2 weeks to speak to him, he says he doesnt check email and phone not listed.

Genos garage has nicer front for same price.
Well this guy was ok with me. Shipped in 4 days. Hopefully the quality will be ok

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Well this guy was ok with me. Shipped in 4 days. Hopefully the quality will be ok

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Any follow up? I sent him an email earlier today but a personal review and some pics of the product would be nice.

I'm looking for something that can be taken on and off pretty quickly without having to remove the grill. I was thinking of running some kind of quick-release pin set up depending on how the inserts mount. Wouldn't look as clean but theoretically a guy could add/remove panels in seconds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts