Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm posting this here, but it applies to many sections of the forum and it's a rather lengthy problem.

So, my 2014 2500 had a "lost communication with turbo code," most likely a bad VGT actuator. So, instead of replacing just the VGT and taking it to a dealer to calibrate, I decided to go 2nd gen swap route. The original turbo had 206,000 miles on it and was probably going to need replacing sometime soon, anyway. Went with a Smeding s464 from MDC. While waiting for the parts and time, the tranny crapped out (stuck in 4th and slipping so much it wouldn't get over 35 mph). So, I tore it out and rebuilt it with a McLeod racing kit and Transgo shift kit, with the Sonax line pressure kit. Only took 4 weeks to get all the parts, thanks to COVID issues... Put the 2nd gen on at the same time, and installed the RaceMe Ultra tuner.
Everything is working good now, very smooth, but I'm only getting a max of 15psi boost at 3000rpm. It runs like a basically stock truck, other than the shifting hitting hard. I contacted MDC, they say I need a custom program to rescale the MAF for the new 5" intake. Contacted RaceMe tech support, and they say their tunes are fine for the 2nd gen and don't need any rescaling, and that it may be a fueling issue. Fuel pressure is running 18k-20k at full throttle.
There's definitely not an airflow issue, running a stainless steel intake elbow, grid heater delete, EGR/DPF/DEF/Cat deleted. Only problem is low boost pressure... And, it doesn't tow worth a crap, but that is probably the same issue. Anyone else experience this? Who is correct, MDC or RaceMe??

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Looks like you have 2 problems right off the bat. The first is failing to build boost and the second is low rail pressure. I would recommend starting off with a boost leak test and checking all of your boost path connections. For the low rail pressure, do you have good pressure off the lift pump? Do you have a stock fuel system?

Not a necessity, but I would recommend custom tuning for your setup. Not only will a competent tuner be able to properly fuel your setup, the trans tuning will be miles ahead of what you are experiencing with box tunes.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Do you have a CEL? If you had that low boost and that low of rail pressure, the truck should be very dirty under WOT

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Any finding with a boost leak test? You can make your own with a schrader valve, some PVC pipe, and polyvinyl couplings from the hardware store

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Let us know if that fixes everything

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So, no, it didn’t fix things. I replaced the intake plate gasket, and there’s no boost leak now. I replaced the fuel rail plug while I had it apart. Rail pressure is maxing out at about 26k, boost at 15. There’s a tiny bit more smoke than before, but still nothing like I’ve seen from other diesels. So I’m pretty sure it’s the tuner just not telling the computer to open the injectors enough. RaceMe tech support says I don’t need a custom tune, I think they’re full of something.
Does anyone know a custom tuner for the RaceMe Ultra (besides DRD)?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
What is the pulse width on your injectors?

I agree you should be looking for a custom tune for the setup you have with a company that will support you

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Others have had your issue and posted it on this forum. When swapping from a vgt to a non vgt you must adjust the tuning. Some tuners claim a revision is not necessary and their customers suffer. A revision fixes the issue. The truck doesn’t know the vgt is gone. Go with custom tuning asap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That’s what I figured, but who does custom tuning for the RaceMe? I’ve contacted a few, but they won’t do it for a deleted truck...

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
That’s what I figured, but who does custom tuning for the RaceMe? I’ve contacted a few, but they won’t do it for a deleted truck...
Cant help you with RaceMe. Isn’t it simply box tuning? My nephew used the RaceMe recently. It was nice but had no adjustability for turbo swaps etc if i understood him correctly. This is why i went with custom tuning since i plan on swapping in a third gen iron horn SXE turbo and manifold.
I asked the tuner if i would need a revision for a non vgt. He said absolutely. This lined up with what i have been seeing on the forum over the last month.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, so all is well. RaceMe keeps saying their box tunes are fine, they’re not. I had to bite the bullet, sign up for life on igotacummins and she’ll put the cash to DRD. But, I’m glad I did. It’s such a dramatic difference, I can’t even explain it. The truck runs like a black smoke belching demon from hell, now. Super quick throttle response (almost twitchy). Insane quick spooling turbo and boosts up to 30-40 psi without even trying. Got their 12v sound tune, as well, and it is awesome. I’m in love with my truck again!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts