Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Low Boost On A New Turbo

1228 Views 16 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  drunk on diesel
O.k just finished the break-in miles of my D-tech turbo (150 miles). Edge set on 4 at WOT can't get it over 27 Psi (according to my display) All boots are tight. So i'm guessing in need to adj. the wasegate arm. I know when I installed the turbo the threaded part was all the way out before I locked the nut. Do I need to take off the clip on the wasegate arm and turn that one out too or ????.:confused013:

Thanks
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Some-Sho Some-Go
1,650 Posts
O.k just finished the break-in miles of my D-tech turbo (150 miles). Edge set on 4 at WOT can't get it over 27 Psi (according to my display) All boots are tight. So i'm guessing in need to adj. the wasegate arm. I know when I installed the turbo the threaded part was all the way out before I locked the nut. Do I need to take off the clip on the wasegate arm and turn that one out too or ????.:confused013:

Thanks
I have the same issue with my HX40 about 26 PSI is all i can get out of it. Piers Diesel told me to block of the wastegate and see if that helps, havent done it yet but you may want to try that.

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the same issue with my HX40 about 26 PSI is all i can get out of it. Piers Diesel told me to block of the wastegate and see if that helps, havent done it yet but you may want to try that.
This turbo is supposed to hit 42 psi easy. Any tricks on wasegate adjustments.

· Registered
1,536 Posts
First plug the wastegate line with some vise grip pliers and see if you can get over 27 psi. If you can't then you need to find some electronic defueling problem. If you get more boost then try to screw in the wastegate adjuster. I think that will raise pressure but not positive. doesnt hurt to try.

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking more pressure comming from the acutuator means more boost (Rod at its longest point). If this is true my adjustment is all the way out. Also my EGT temp doesen't go above 1050. With my stock turbo it would hit 1400 easy so the turbo is working but it needs more boost.

· Registered
14,163 Posts
You're only making a thousand degrees EGT but you think you need more boost? :confused:

Just leave it be... when you start making more power and actually need more boost, just put an adjustable boost elbow on it. A thousand times easier than adjusting the rod. Shortening the rod means more tension means more boost

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you reading Boost off you Edge or do you have gauges? My edge will quit at 20psi but my gauge goes all the way up to 30psi at WOT.
I'm reading it off my edge.

· Registered
1,640 Posts
If you shorten the wastegate rod just use some compressed air to stretch it back out its a pain to get it back on the turbo without using shop air

· Registered
2,106 Posts
27 lbs coming out of your 62 is flowing way more air than 27 lbs on your stock turbo, that's a kinda vague description. What I'm trying to say is that flow means more than psi at this point.
i have a pretty good understanding of airflow characteristics, and id like some scientific elaboration on this point. ive given this a lot of thought. . .and ive concluded that 40 psi is 40 psi when read @ the intake manifold, the only difference is the temp that it becomes compressed to (smaller pumps obviously create more heat at higher psi, which would obviously result in air that is a little less dense). my buddy runs his 62 makin 40 psi, and i twist my lil hx35 to 40-42 psi also, fueling setups are identical on the trucks, and my truck actually makes a little more power. im not arguing, but ive always thought you cant flow more volume at the same psi unless the volume on the compressed side of the turbo is increased, which would result in a net drop in boost, where a smaller turbo cannot feed what a larger turbo could. if two pumps are capable of pumpin 40 psi into the exact same intake tract, i would think the same amount of air is moved (minus the variable of extra heat production from a smaller pump) regardless of how much more air the larger one can flow.

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you're probably making more boost than the Edge is telling you...

I prefer a regular old boost gauge and a regular old pyro.

I can't tell you how jealous I am of your location :(
Thanks born & raised here. Nice weather all year long. Execpt when the hurricanes come. But it's been over fifteen years since the last one.

· Registered
1,536 Posts
i have a pretty good understanding of airflow characteristics, and id like some scientific elaboration on this point. ive given this a lot of thought. . .and ive concluded that 40 psi is 40 psi when read @ the intake manifold, the only difference is the temp that it becomes compressed to (smaller pumps obviously create more heat at higher psi, which would obviously result in air that is a little less dense). my buddy runs his 62 makin 40 psi, and i twist my lil hx35 to 40-42 psi also, fueling setups are identical on the trucks, and my truck actually makes a little more power. im not arguing, but ive always thought you cant flow more volume at the same psi unless the volume on the compressed side of the turbo is increased, which would result in a net drop in boost, where a smaller turbo cannot feed what a larger turbo could. if two pumps are capable of pumpin 40 psi into the exact same intake tract, i would think the same amount of air is moved (minus the variable of extra heat production from a smaller pump) regardless of how much more air the larger one can flow.
I agree. The flow statement doesn't really go anywhere. However, a larger turbo will make more boost per rotation of the compressor wheel. Obviously it will run cooler than a smaller turbo pushing it limits, and will make more boost before the drive pressure goes nuts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.