Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had this warning pop up right after I replaced both batteries this morning. Tested both batteries, good at 12.5V. Tested them while isolated from each other. Before I start the truck the dash reads <8V, but it starts fine and climbs to 12V, but the warning never clears. I did have an odd situation replacing the batteries. Took them to Sams Club since they were covered under warranty, but found out they weren't replacing them so I had to do it myself. I don't have issues replacing batteries when I have my tools handy. I'm not the tallest person, so I usually need a ladder which I didn't have. First install went great, a little hard installing the new one but got through it. Second one was a little tougher due to the tight space and again not having a ladder. Unfortunately the ground cable touched the power cable for a brief second while I was lowering the battery into position. Wondering if I blew a fuse somewhere, just don't know where to look.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just checked both batteries again and both are good. Left the DVM hooked up to one of the batteries. Started off at 12.4V, dropped down to 11V when I started the truck and then jumped back up to 12.2V. The weird thing is it never went any higher than that like the alternator wasn't kicking on. I guess that might be my problem.

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
Just checked both batteries again and both are good. Left the DVM hooked up to one of the batteries. Started off at 12.4V, dropped down to 11V when I started the truck and then jumped back up to 12.2V. The weird thing is it never went any higher than that like the alternator wasn't kicking on. I guess that might be my problem.
Yes, should be over 13v, and when working fully, will show 14v.

Probably what your battery issue was, not bad batteries.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, should be over 13v, and when working fully, will show 14v.

Probably what your battery issue was, not bad batteries.
Just dropped it off at the Dealership. I'll find out soon enough, but I'm pretty confident it's the alternator.

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
Your truck is out of warranty and you took it to the dealer???

Sure should have taken it to a good independent shop, dealer will rape you if they don't screw it up first.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have en extended warranty. I take advantage of it as much as possible. Should be making my money back after this issue and still have 40k miles and two years left on it.

Reactions: Gr8bawana

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was getting the low voltage warning intermittently over the past few weeks. The last time it happened the light stayed on, my problem happened to be a loose nut on one of the driver side connectors on the positive terminal. It must had vibrated loose, once I tightened it voltage went back up to 14 and I have not had the issue since.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It turned out to be the alternator. Glad I got two new batteries out of it for free. My truck is a 2014 with 78k miles on it just in case anyone was wondering. This September will be 6 years since I've owned it. I'm a little shocked the alternator would go out this early, but I guess it happens.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
It turned out to be the alternator. Glad I got two new batteries out of it for free. My truck is a 2014 with 78k miles on it just in case anyone was wondering. This September will be 6 years since I've owned it. I'm a little shocked the alternator would go out this early, but I guess it happens.
Which alternator did you have?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 180A alternator. They also found two fuses blown. Wish I knew which ones they were, but they were fuses for the right battery. Probably blew when I had my mishap installing that one. Damn Stealership charged me $20 a fuse. Freaking crazy.

Reactions: RammerJam

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
The 180A alternator. They also found two fuses blown. Wish I knew which ones they were, but they were fuses for the right battery. Probably blew when I had my mishap installing that one. Damn Stealership charged me $20 a fuse. Freaking crazy.
Would have told them to remove the fuses I can replace them myself.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would have told them to remove the fuses I can replace them myself.
Yup, unfortunately it was done before they even told me. I looked for blown fuses before I took it in and couldn't figure out which ones to look at.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts