Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. This is the first time I have ever bought a Dodge truck, but this past weekend I took the plunge. I was looking for a truck that I could keep a long time and that would fit all my needs for a truck. I found a 2004 24v 5.9 Cummins Ram with 255720 miles on it. I have thought about it for a week telling myself I was crazy, but the longer I have it I have almost convinced myself it is quite possibly the best truck I have ever owned. Its still tight, everything works and runs like a sewing machine. Many people have told me with good maintenance this truck could go for a million miles. Im starting to believe it. Im so proud of it. I drove it on a 52 mile trip today and averaged 24 mpg driving at 55 mph, and on the way back I drove on the interstate
and averaged 21. AMAZING for a 3/4 ton truck.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
My first Dodge Diesel was an 04.5 325/600 5.9 with the NV5600 manual, that was and still is a nice truck, my brother bought it in 2009. I had two CTD's, the 04.5 and the 07 C&C, when my brother called and wondered if I would sell to him. I told him he had to ask his SIL because she wouldn't let me sell it. The plus is I get to visit my first CTD from time to time. So a couple of questions, is it the 325HP/600TQ or do you know what the HP/TQ is? Is it the auto (48re) or manual (NV5600)? Fill out your signature so all can see what you own, it comes in handy when asking questions. BTW, welcome to Cummins Forum.

·
Clayton @ Dude's Diesel Performance
3,475 Posts
I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. This is the first time I have ever bought a Dodge truck, but this past weekend I took the plunge. I was looking for a truck that I could keep a long time and that would fit all my needs for a truck. I found a 2004 24v 5.9 Cummins Ram with 255720 miles on it. I have thought about it for a week telling myself I was crazy, but the longer I have it I have almost convinced myself it is quite possibly the best truck I have ever owned. Its still tight, everything works and runs like a sewing machine. Many people have told me with good maintenance this truck could go for a million miles. Im starting to believe it. Im so proud of it. I drove it on a 52 mile trip today and averaged 24 mpg driving at 55 mph, and on the way back I drove on the interstate View attachment 903036 View attachment 903037 and averaged 21. AMAZING for a 3/4 ton truck.

Welcome and congrats on the ride. You will be very happy with that platform for sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My first Dodge Diesel was an 04.5 325/600 5.9 with the NV5600 manual, that was and still is a nice truck, my brother bought it in 2009. I had two CTD's, the 04.5 and the 07 C&C, when my brother called and wondered if I would sell to him. I told him he had to ask his SIL because she wouldn't let me sell it. The plus is I get to visit my first CTD from time to time. So a couple of questions, is it the 325HP/600TQ or do you know what the HP/TQ is? Is it the auto (48re) or manual (NV5600)? Fill out your signature so all can see what you own, it comes in handy when asking questions. BTW, welcome to Cummins Forum.
It’s a 48re and it was built 20030808

·
Registered
231 Posts
Nice looking truck. With that build date, yours is most likely the 305 HP motor. To be sure look at the eighth digit in the VIN. If it is a "C" it's got the "High Output" engine, like mine. Mine was built on September 25, 2003.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
The Model Year 2004 engines prior to build date of 01/01/04 had three different HP ratings, I don't remember them now, but there was a HO, (305/555) SO, (???/???) and Comifornia SO (???/???). The HP/TQ should be on the vave cover, if your interested.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just looked. Its a 305/555 engine. Thanks for the info. I just picked up 50 cubic feet of pinebark mulch in the bed and it drove away like it didnt know it was there. This truck is amazing.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
That is the best engine for 04, only because there is no CAT on the exhaust, the 04.5 has better HP/TQ, but has a CAT. I didn't care with my 04.5, because living in Comifornia, only the worst HP/TQ (Comifornia compliant) was availaable. With the 04.5, it is 50 State compliant and allowed it to be purchased in Comifornia.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts