Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Cummins 4x4 with 48000K miles. She gets pretty good mileage straight up...about 21 on highway but I towed with her for the first time this past weekend and I was quite disappointed with the mpg I got.

Towing a 5300 lb toy hauler she dropped to 10.5. mpg. The whole skinny...3500 longbed 4x4 automatic trans with cap and cargo in bed about 1200 lbs 3 passengers weight about 480 lbs. 3.5 axle gear ratio.
speed never over 65mph half the trip 55mph.

I used to get 8.5 with the same set up hauling with a 1 ton extended van gasser, and the van was bigger and heavier than the truck.

Is this about right?

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
no you really shouldn't lose that much mileage... How does the tranny feel when towing? Does it shift out of OD much? do you have the OD button push off? When was the last time you changed fuel filter? those are few things that could be part of the problem.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I changed all fluids and filters at 45,000. New Tranny filter, drained replaced tranny fluid with Amsoil. Amsoil all around except engine.

I did the 120 miles going there with the OD on and got 10.6 mpg. Coming home I switched the OD off and got 10.2 mpg.

Tranny temp about 150-160 the whole time.

The one thing I did not do was adjust the bands. Think that could be the prob??

·
Registered
882 Posts
Your in the ball park, maybe 11. Its more aerodynamics than the weight. I can pull a 31ft fifth wheel and get the same if not better fuel economy than pulling a 19ft toy hauler TT.

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
That is about right. Your 95 is way down on the HP level so pulling that billboard in the air is going to cause you to get onto the skinny pedal to keep momentum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts