Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much louder is getting rid of the cat and muffler rather than just deleting the muffler? and also, can i just gut the cat and get the same effect?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I cut the cat, and the muffler off my truck, Not sure how much louder it would be to gut and keep the cat on the truck.... If all else try it, if you dont like it all it takes is a saw and add some pipe and make it a true straight pipe !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Lose the muffler, cat and silencer ring and you will have a smile you can't get rid of. Till you get a smarty that is.:thumbsup:beer

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Yeah even straight piped they dont make as much noise(stock), oposed to when there tuned up. I know if you just use the facotry 4in exhaust and then straight pipe it, its pretty nice sound. Tuned up with some of the more aggressive tuners(Cray Larry, Smarty TNT, etc etc) Things get a bit more "outta control" In the front seats(if you have a quad cab) your still ok, but there are times in the back when things will be a bit annoying. However just cruising, your fine, its not much louder(then comapred to stock straight piped).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is it a straight shot with the pipe, looks like mine might have a few bends in it?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks bro! trying to figure this stuff out so i can get it done this weekend.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,452 Posts
no prob !
you can order the top muff delete from geno's, but its on backorder for an unspecified amount of time..

·
Registered
460 Posts
I just dropped my muffler and yea...hard to keep that grin off your face when you nail it, especially while you're driving next to one of them rice burners with the buzz pipe or that annoying person on the cell phone that keeps tapping the damn brakes.

(Did i say that out loud or was i just thinking it?)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys for the info. just wondering how much better the flow is without the cat on it? is it worth the $100 to get rid of it?

·
Registered
460 Posts
IMO, it would probably be worth it from everything i've read from the folks that have done it and have a pyro gauge to monitor the EGT's, however, I've opted to keep mine on due to the state inspections on the pickup. I think we have 3 years exemption in Colorado and then I have to get it inspected in 09. I might have to put a muffler back on, but shouldn't be a big deal, i know most of the inspectors in my hometown :thumbsup and they'll let the muffler part go, but not the cat. :w:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, thought about just pulling the pipe back and gutting it, just in case anyone looks under there, maybe a thought for you as well

·
Registered
460 Posts
Not a bad idear. What would it take to do that? Never seen the inside of one.

·
Registered
225 Posts
A straight piece of pipe will span the ~6.5 feet from the end of the downpipe where the cat clamps to it all the way to the tail pipe where the muffler attaches to it. I did this to mine myself.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
looks like mine (06) has a few bends where the cat is. plus i don't have a way to expand the pipe or need some 4" i.d. pipe. the cat is just a honeycomb of emissions crap. take a big hammer and piece of metal long enough to go through the honeycomb and go to town, when you get done with the cat, just leave the pipe off and start the truck and that's it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
when i piped mine i found a straight piece of pipe and a saw-zall and it made er loud as heck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
my buddy has a 03 straight piped and man you wouldn't believe how good it sounds something you can't explain:peelout

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
that's exactly what i'm lookin for. ride em loud and proud
what do you guys think about smarty's on a stock tranny. be a while before i upgrade it, go sr. or jr.? also can you stack either of these? a buddy of mine suggested a diablo w/ a puck, but i've heard of people burning things up?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts