Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck will miss at idle, I hear a loud snap noise, and it smoothes out. Then it will do it again. Seems to only happen hot. I think the noise is coming from the afc area. Any ideas?

·
Banned
1,777 Posts
sticking plunger, common 160 pump problem (94-95 motors)

Reactions: ratdog49640

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
^^

x2

A plunger is sticking, the snap you hear is likely the plunger dropping back down and smacking the cam

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there any fix other than replacing the pump? Has anyone rebuilt one of these pumps themself?

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
the only 'fix' is replacing it or sending it out to rebuild.

Disassembly, reassembly and final setup of the pump all require specialized tools and equipment, which are all worth more than your truck!

Its not economically feasable for someone to rebuild their own pump, though it is possible.

·
Banned
1,777 Posts
or buy a used pump in the for sale section here or on competitiondiesel.com.... then sell yours to sumbody as a core

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I was in denial, hoping it would be a cheap fix.

·
Registered
38 Posts
before you fork out the money to rebuild your pump try a conditioner like styodyne special blend or amsoil diesel conditioner. Mine was really sticking bad. Started with the special blend and then started using amsoil diesel con. I have over 220000 trouble free km since and never removed the pump yet

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
snake oil is not going to cure a warped barrel...

·
Registered
38 Posts
snake oil is not going to cure a warped barrel...
You are so right But who said the barell is warped? Alot of times it is just gummed up. All I`m saying is a 20 dollar fix is better than 600 dollar one

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are so right But who said the barell is warped? Alot of times it is just gummed up. All I`m saying is a 20 dollar fix is better than 600 dollar one
Thanks. I'll give it a try. This is not a daily driver. It sets a lot, used mostly for snow plowing and hauling firewood. If it doesn't work, I'm really not out anything.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
How does a very very tight tolerance plunger and barrel 'gum up' when it is 'washed' a billion times a day with fresh fuel?

They dont...

What does happen is the barrels warp or pit (usually from fuel starvation/water in fuel) causing the plungers to stick.

But... If your hearing the ticking caused from the lift pump or overflow valve, yes some snake oil might help quiet that noise.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mean to say you have never seen a dirty or tarnished pump? Just look at the threads on your filler cap are they clean or are they brown in color? Most of the ones that come to me are brown they should be clean.Its the same brown crap that gets in the pump and diesel dose not wash it away its the creator. Maybe you have better diesel than we have here. I have seen plunger start sticking at 50000 km. Get some conditioner in it no more problems. Don`t get me wrong sometimes the only fix is a complete overhaul. But why not try something simple first

1 - 13 of 13 Posts