Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i take off my clutch (i suppose its my clutch) makes a loud screeching noise. is this normal? its a valiar aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dang...but it only does it when i let off the clutch hard instead of easing off....how much damage is that to the pocket book?

·
Registered
661 Posts
if it is your pilot or throwout bearing id say it couldnt be more then 70$ for the throwout bearing and like 20 for a new pilot.....im just guessing here.

·
Registered
228 Posts
talk to jbarker he will get you what you need for a good price

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Seems like the throw out makes it more w/ the truck running in N. Hear kind of a grinding noise in the cab. Seems to me anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea it make a loud noise when in neutral. mechanic said it was just the springs...but i was wonderin. the noise that is bothering me is when i take off...sounds something like an old steel desk being drug across a concrete floor..if you can imagine that.

·
Registered
273 Posts
how long has the clutch been in the truck?, when it was changed did you replace the bearings? its not to often tha piolt brg. gos bad.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
clutch was installed the middle of march...and nothing was replaced. so is this something that requires immediate attention?

·
Registered
273 Posts
sounds like a sized up throwout brg. or the pressure plate has a broken spring. do you drive with your foot resting on the clutch peddle?

·
Registered
273 Posts
it puts more pressure on the throwout brg. and makes it wereout faster. there are ballbearings in it ,when thay start to go bad there is more heat witch burns up the littlebit of grease that is in it and the result is a screeching of a bad bearing. hopefully this is the case because it would be the cheepest fix , but the tran. would still have to be seperated frome the engine. this is just a suggestion.good luck. you should here the noise in nutral running if you push the clutch in and out..

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
the noise in neutral is gear clatter or also known as gear rollover, you get this from engine spikes passed throough the drive line, this is normal with a heavy duty clutch, it isn't damaging anything, just can be anoying, some do it worse then others. A fluid Dampner will elliminate most of the noise. now as far as your other noise goes give me a call and we will figure it out for you.
Dan

·
Registered
182 Posts
valair1,

I had a new valair 500hp clutch put in back in March as well and I had a new flywheel put in with a new bearing. The noise that I get is a chirp when I am letting the clutch out. It is only when I am taking off or shifting down when my jake brake is on. It basically sounds like the clutch is making noise when it is engaging against the flywheel. Is this normal? Or do I have an improperly installed clutch or did I break the clutch in improperly?

Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
it's not your bearings, it's something to do with the ceramic material trying to mate up with the metal. not really to unusual with a ceramic type clutch.

·
Shiftin Fool
1,185 Posts
you are prolly hearing the same noise i am, its kinda embarrassing.
in your sig it says the 600 HP clutch. so im assuming it the sindle disc 12 cb. if thats the case and its only happining when you give it throttle to avoid the harsh take off, it is the ceramic disc slipping against the flywheel or pressure plate. unfortunalty that noise is there to stay until you change out the clutch material.
below is a picture of your clutch. the single disc ceramics really eat into the flywheel. the one below only had 1100 miles on it. it will hold some decent power for a while. it is just too hard of a material for a single disc set up IMHO! good luck in whatever you decide to do. :thumbsup

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
any clutch that hold's that much power will eat into the flywheel. flywheels are cheap now days. no big deal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts