Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you have a buddy with a porta power then you can split it yourself. I bought all the bearings, chain and seals for around 300 bucks from the dealership.
Porta Power why? Two pry bars is all I ha ever used I have even done it with screw drivers. Lots of things happen when you apply power that does not show up when free spining(2 wd). Just think I would check what I could before I took it to anybody.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Porta Power why? Two pry bars is all I ha ever used I have even done it with screw drivers. Lots of things happen when you apply power that does not show up when free spining(2 wd). Just think I would check what I could before I took it to anybody.
You want to scar up the mating surfaces of the two halves go ahead. Had a bunch apart and thats the way I do it. Don't feel much like beating the crap out of an aluminum case. That way when I put it back together it doesn't look like a pried open safe.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Every once in a while I'll get a loud popping from the front of the truck after I engage 4WD.I believe it's just the u-joints binding a little tho.Doesn't do it all the time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you did not service the transfer case as recomended a streatched or worn chain is more than likely the problem. The noise that you hear is the chain climbing the gear and poping back into place. I have seen this over the years with several cases that turn all the time starting with the NP203.

·
Registered
602 Posts
if its not the u joint its the little cv joint between the u joints on the transfercase end of the dshaft. sorry i can't remember what its called. i replaced my u joints after the same symptoms and it was still there. pulled my front diff cover and it was all fine, thought it was my tcase untill someone said to look at that cv joint and sure sh!t that was the problem. i bought a used driveshaft from cummins salvage and i'm good as new. take off the shaft "its easy" and you will be able to feel that cv binding. mine was damn near locked right up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So i was leaving work the other day and there was about 3-4" of snow and ice on the ground, i left in 2wd but had to go to 4wd to get up the hill and WOW, all i heard was a gosh awful CLUNK SNAP POP when i let the clutch out in 4HI.. Goin on a straight road with little pressure on the go pedal there is no noise but any increase in torque and CLUNK SNAP POP is all i hear.. It sounds like something is literally gonna break and get slung into the next county.. The sound makes me sick to my stomach! I've searched threads an some same u joints and/or the drive chain is stretched.. Any additional educated info would be nice so i know what to expect before i go to the dealership..
Did you figure out what was wrong? Mine is doing the same thing.

·
Trying to learn
5,464 Posts
Welcome to CF
A 10-year-old thread. You should have started a new thread for your issue.

Is the noise a rapid popping (Stretched chain in transfer case) under the middle of the truck or a slower thunk, thunk (bad u-joint in the front axle) from the front area?

Please supply truck info when posting a question to receive better help.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts