Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before i start i want to say i searched this forum for a solution but came out:confused013:.

My buddy just bought a 05 dodge 3500 from a guy in nevada. It is all stock minus a 6"lift. It has 65k miles. Problem with it is it smokes heavy when you first start it and after it warms up the smoke goes away. Also out of the crankcase vent tube it smokes real heavy after it warms up and when you put your hand up to it after about 5 seconds your hand has oil on it. There is excessive oil ALL over the bottom of the truck. No noticable loss in power or performance.

I read on another thread the smoke could be from running the truck to hot too often. His turbo housing(where the intake mounts up to it) looks discolored, not gray but a reddish burn like its been overheated too many times and his exhaust manifold is the same way, whereas mine is just looks rusty.

What could it be?:confused013:

· On call 24/7
13,747 Posts
The turbo might be shot or an injector sticking. Sounds like its been rode hard.

· Premium Member
8,859 Posts
look at the picture in my sig exact same problems he was having, was a bad piston wasnt really melted just beat to death and coming apart. My smoke would go away at about 130* and did it when it was 100* outside also, lots of oil was coming off the ccv, I would suggest an injector kill test, cylinder balance test and if either one show a cylinder different then a compression test, still should be under warrenty also

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would suggest an injector kill test, cylinder balance test and if either one show a cylinder different then a compression test
How do i do the above mentioned tests? And how do i test to turbo to see if its shot??

· Registered
515 Posts
i'm in the same boat... but i've taken it to the dealer three times and they say everything is good. i'm bout to get pissed off at em

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With Chrysler in the tank i dont thing the dealer will be trying to fix it. There trying to claim the lift voids the warranty so the truck wont be going there anymore.:buttkick:

· Premium Member
8,859 Posts
you will need a star scan to do this and I would insist being there when the tests are odne so you can see whats going on. On the the injector kill test you will see a diference in rpms and here a differnce in idle also, if nothing happens then thats more then likely the injector, the cylinder balance test will show percentages and they all should be about even on all the cylinders if one cylinder shows lower percentage rate then the others its more then likely that cylinder if your piston is bad, then what ever the test shows do a compression test on that cylinder.

· Registered
408 Posts
i just had this a happen they had to rebuild my number six cylinder and its gone!!!

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help. Also how much different is to do a compression test on a diesel (ive always wondered since we dont have spark plugs)?

· Premium Member
8,859 Posts
Thanks for the help. Also how much different is to do a compression test on a diesel (ive always wondered since we dont have spark plugs)?
got to pull the injectors and do it that way

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.