Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck has recently been running rough at idle and it smokes a lot at idle, it’s a constant gray cloud. It drives great, has power, no blow by. Is this something to worry about, should I get the balance rates tested? Truck has about 50k miles on rebuilt engine bored 40 over, I replaced injectors about 40k miles ago, stock intake, 4inch exhaust, edge CTS on level 4. I just ran Howe’s fuel treatment through the last 3 tanks and the rough idle is much better now(only does it maybe 30% of the time) but still a lot of smoke. I changed fuel and air filter 3k miles ago.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Specifically what injectors did you put in. If Remans Bosch etc.. probably them. Hopefully New Bosch and you confirmed with numbers or went with BBI's

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Injectors were reman from local auto parts store, but only 40k on them? Are they really that bad?

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Run a heavy dose of cleaner. You can research on here about using non synthetic dexron ATF as a cleaner, people have had good results with it. If you have more or bad injectors the cleaner won't fix the issue.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Injectors were reman from local auto parts store, but only 40k on them? Are they really that bad?
Remans have a higher failure rate and the money you save on buying remans is not worth the risk of destroying your engine. Bbi has a good/low failure rate on their remans.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took the truck to a diesel mechanic, he said it was idling fine (does it 50/50 on a cold start, but almost all the time when warmed up) he tested the balance rates and said injectors looked fine so I’m gonna stop by after work when it’s warmed up and have him test the balance rates again when it’s idling rough

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Took the truck to a diesel mechanic, he said it was idling fine (does it 50/50 on a cold start, but almost all the time when warmed up) he tested the balance rates and said injectors looked fine so I’m gonna stop by after work when it’s warmed up and have him test the balance rates again when it’s idling rough
You're supposed to do the contribution when the engine gets up to operating temp. What were the numbers he got the first time?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He didn’t say, just said they were within normal range. He also mentioned he’s seen a truck with same exact symptoms one other time and it ended up being a cracked head and when it warmed up the crack would expand and lose compression. I still haven’t had time to get to the shop before he closes to have him test it again while it’s warmed up. Couldn’t figure out how to post a video on here but it’s constant gray smoke at idle and it didn’t use to do that.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Glad you got it figured out and thanks for letting us know what fixed it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts