Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Lost m.p.g.'s and power with the Smarty

875 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  megadually
I waited for a few tanks before posting this in hopes that It would get better but here it goes. I bought a new Smarty sr pod in replacement for my Predator. I set it on sw5 and drove my normal routes and same driving conditions. When I had my Predator set on perf/economy (100 hp) I was seeing 18.2-18.6 mpg's. The Smarty has run 15.5 and 15.2 mpg's on the last 2 tanks. The Predator definately produced alot more power across all rpm levels but I just did not trust the bad idle and really bad timing rattle. Has anyone else had a similar experiance with their Smarty? I like the way the truck runs with the Smarty but was just suprised at the mpg/power loss.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
What settings is your Smarty on? There is no way the Predator makes more power, and be sure (like the poster above stated) that you are hand calculating or else its all BS. When a programmer messes with fuel delivery in any way, it throws off the overhead.

· Registered
2,932 Posts
the huge rattle you experienced was likely because the Predator had is set really high. That's maybe why you got better mileage and it felt a little more powerful. If you were only looking for mileage the Jr might have been a better choice. The Sr has a lot of setting that can determine your mileage and power.

· Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have always hand calculated my mileage on every tank since new. The Predator was WAY off on the overhead 5-8 mpg, the Smarty is a little better but still off by 3-4 mpg. I have it set on sw5 and only upped the timing and pressure to mild. As far as saying that their is now way that the Predator put down more power, I gained over a full second 0-60 going from the Predator set on 100 hp to the Smarty on 90 hp. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Smarty and it's reputation but I was just very suprised that the gains over stock and compared with the Predator were so low. I will hopefully find the right tuning combo that works better soon.

· Registered
9,117 Posts
Ya you will find what runs best on your truck... I have been doing a lot of that on my truck lately and the smarty is what works best... my truck didn't like edge or one other brand of performance chip... You need to tune the smarty for your truck, you will enjoy it.. I dont' want to be a smarty cheer leader but it works! and for that second in your 0-60 is that professionally timed or off a setting on the predator?

· Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was timed by a stop watch and the speedo. I had to roll into it with the Predator to keep from spinning to bad but not as much with the Smarty. The best way that I can compare the feeling between the 2 is comparing how your engine runs when cold and stiff (smarty) and warmed up and loose (predator). Again, I really like the way the truck runs with the Smarty but am concerned about the drop in mileage. I went a long time getting sub par mileage (15-16 on hwy at best) until getting the Predator (17 mpg was the worst mileage I got and that was dogging it, usually ran 18-19) so I am hoping to get the right formula down with the Smarty.

· Registered
476 Posts
Try the revo tnt 1. That is 100hp and my pickup seems to like it better than the reg. revo. I am going to try the higher #'s and see how it likes them. I liked 9 better than 5 on revo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.