Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well despite what the title says my truck is okay, Last snow storm an 18 wheeler came over my side of the road and smashed my bed, tailgate and taillight. My bed was pretty beat to begin with and now the drivers side is practically falling off.

Bed's Toast no way around it. So i will need to replace it as soon as the insurance pays out.

Now I would like a few opinions/ feedback on what i should do. I use the truck for towing, snow plowing, and wood hauling. I used to have a 9ft Dump insert inside but i have since removed. (Stock springs weren't strong enough)

1). Buy a used Box
These aren't very common to find but they are around. Costs ~300-600$
From what I see they look the best and are functional, but Unlike my old chevys (bolted together very strong) they are bonded and spot welded and seem kinda flimsy.

2). Iron/Steel flat bed These are probably the most use full and cost anywhere from ~600-2,500$. Probably the most useful, easy to modify, heavy and strong. Would aide in snow traction also would shrug off fender benders that would destroy a box.

3. Alloy/Aluminum These seem to be pretty common now, They are light and not to pricey ~2,000$ They are stronger than beds, but they aren't as easy to modify as an iron bed.

4.) Dumping alloy/iron flat bed. These are pretty cool i like having a dumper. These are expensive ~5,000 dollar range for the alloy ones. I'm assuming these would prevent me from ever adding a goose neck or 5th wheel hitch at some point.

5.) I could fab up a iron bed and maybe steal the hyrdos from my dumper but I dont have time for that. The fact that theres 4ft of snow on the ground isnt helping either :doh: Hasn't stoped snowing for 4 weeks for Frigs sakes...

I know only I can make the final decision and make up my mind but im pretty clueless as to what i want. I figured you guys would love to help out and spend someone Else's money. :rof

Anyways here's the carnage...

Could have been worse, good thing i drove off the road or that #%$$%^ could have totaled my truck or hurt me :buttkick:

·
Premium Member
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What were the circumstances of the collision? Glad you're okay.

If I were mine, I would get a used bed and get the truck painted.
18 wheeler flying up hill trying to make it up incline. Well over double yellow line i could barley fit with out him on my road. I drove off road to avoid him but i couldn't get out of his way. He clipped the rear of my truck.

A bed is probably the most affordable able but im questioning whether it will rot out again or fall apart from use.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
If the insurance payout is good, I'd find a rust free bed, even if that means hitching a trailer and heading to a Southern state.

·
Premium Member
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the insurance payout is good, I'd find a rust free bed, even if that means hitching a trailer and heading to a Southern state.
Gahh i was just about to buy Nv4500 and clutch and get going on that now this happens.

I guess ill go with a bed. Which means painting the frame and whole bunch of other stuff to follow

·
Registered
11,476 Posts
A flat bed will be much nicer when loading wood. The only real problem selling firewood from a flatbed is you may not get the short cords you want.

The real problem with a flat bed is you will lose mpg because of aerodynamics. You may also have to stop in truck stops because a flat bed si considered commercial while a pickup bed is not. I am unsure of the rules here but it is something to look into.

Honestly that bed damage does not look so bad. Instead of worrying about the bedside right now I would patch it. Pull the bedside out enough to get a brake light back in. Then run it until you find a great replacement. A pry bar and hammer can move sheet metal. Just be a little gentle.

·
Registered
250 Posts
You might want to get a quote on fixing it, my truck is at the body shop getting work done. My bed was in worse shape than yours. My body guy couldn't find a bed cheap enough so he opted to fix it. The driver side was mangled all the way down, tail gate was beat to hell and the back half to the drivers side was smashed. Still ended up being cheaper than a used bed + dent removal on the new/used bed.

·
Premium Member
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You might want to get a quote on fixing it, my truck is at the body shop getting work done. My bed was in worse shape than yours. My body guy couldn't find a bed cheap enough so he opted to fix it. The driver side was mangled all the way down, tail gate was beat to hell and the back half to the drivers side was smashed. Still ended up being cheaper than a used bed + dent removal on the new/used bed.
Bed floor has huge dents in it from being overloaded. Both wheel arches are showing rot. Passenger side corner wash smashed in before i bought it. Now this plus the tailgate is beyond repair...

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I like my flat bed except that it is harder to get fuel in. there is no good place to put the filler spout to get the angle correct for fuel to flow fast.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Dude...glad you're ok!!!!!
Shouldn't the truck's insurance company buy you some pretty new parts?? sounds like it was their fault....
If you've got enough stamps, beds are pretty cheap here....

·
Premium Member
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dude...glad you're ok!!!!!
Shouldn't the truck's insurance company buy you some pretty new parts?? sounds like it was their fault....
If you've got enough stamps, beds are pretty cheap here....
Maybe I could hire Garry to ship me one?

·
Registered
19,118 Posts
These guys are only about 30 miles from me, and they ship. I'd be happy to look at a bed prior to shipping. I tried choosing a 8' bed for for a '94 and it gave me a laundry list, for all kinds of trucks.:confused013: So, I guess a phone call is required. Snyder's Auto Salvage - Used Car Parts Austin, Texas

·
Registered
259 Posts
What aluminum flatbeds are you seeing for $2k?

I've been keeping my eye out for a decent deal on one.

·
Premium Member
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
19,118 Posts
If you call ask which yard the bed is located in. The Holland, TX yard is the closest to me. OOPs, I looked again, apparently they only have one yard.

·
Premium Member
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you call ask which yard the bed is located in. The Holland, TX yard is the closest to me. OOPs, I looked again, apparently they only have one yard.
I'll try local first, see what I can find I might be better off buying a parts truck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.