Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
On call 24/7
12,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it finally happened. I haven’t torn into it yet but was wondering if these New Venture 4500 Transmission Repair, NV4500 guys were still the way to go? There are companies on eBay and amazon that offer the same style fix for half the price, anybody had good results with the cheaper option?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Maybe you can fix it yourself? Pull the back off the trans while it’s in the truck. I replaced my 5th gear nut in the truck.

That said I had a competent driveline shop just rebuild it and replace what’s necessary.

·
On call 24/7
12,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will do it myself. Did u use the lock collar or another fix?

·
Registered
651 Posts
It seems to be the way to go for 4WDs. Can't speak specifically to brands. Had to do mine last year (2WD, so that wasn't an option for me) and in my reading around, people w/4WDs who used that retainer style had very good (and permanent) luck.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I wanna say it was a kit like this.

It’s been 6 years or so since I did it. I don’t own the truck anymore though.

·
On call 24/7
12,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s the same style collar. Did y’all use the special gear nut wrench or something else?

·
Registered
651 Posts
I think you could probably just tap it tight with a screwdriver and a hammer. I think with that collar it is not necessary to have it torqued down (at least, not to some huge value. IIRC it's supposed to be at 315 ft/lbs with the standard lock washer setup). It literally cannot back off with that collar on though, so it just has to not be loose.

·
On call 24/7
12,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it’s somewhere around 300 ft pounds. I have a few different full float hub nut sockets that might fit. I’ll tear into it and see what I need before I order any parts. Truck is at work and I’ve debated just doing the job there since it’s on concrete.

·
Registered
17,247 Posts
All those things are band-aids. Some last longer than others, but it is dependent on how much the gear and shaft is worn, not the design or price. The only true fix is a fully splined shaft with a new gear.

·
On call 24/7
12,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I spoke with standard and they offer the fully splines shaft and updated nut. Their prices are on par with everyone else and they are local.

·
Registered
17,247 Posts
I never had a 5th gear problem with any of the Standard Transmission & Gear fully splined shafts I had installed.

·
On call 24/7
12,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This trans has supposedly already had a fix, but idk what the last fix included.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
I went with All State for my rebuild kit. Fully splined main and the works. I’ll actually be doing the overhaul in the next few weeks. But it was the most cost effective rebuild kit I could find online with the fully splined main and new 5th gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
On call 24/7
12,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

The nut has a small torx screw that came loose. It had lock tight but didn’t hold. Gear, nut and shaft all look good. I guess when I put this nut on, I need to leave the torx screw loose enough for the gear to go on, tighten to 300 ft pounds and then tighten the torx screw down? I’m gonna get that collar for it and shouldn’t have any more problems.

·
On call 24/7
12,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got it all back together, used loctite on the nut and torx screw. I used the retainer and it all went together fairly well. Time will tell how long it lasts

Reactions: jimduchek

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well it finally happened. I haven’t torn into it yet but was wondering if these New Venture 4500 Transmission Repair, NV4500 guys were still the way to go? There are companies on eBay and amazon that offer the same style fix for half the price, anybody had good results with the cheaper option?
1997 2500 4x4 w/NV4500 ! Lost 5thgear 3rd time finally spot welded nut to shaft in 2 places! Never coming off and no more problems! Factory fix was crap! Good luck.

·
Registered
17,247 Posts
1997 2500 4x4 w/NV4500 ! Lost 5thgear 3rd time finally spot welded nut to shaft in 2 places! Never coming off and no more problems! Factory fix was crap! Good luck.
More often then not tack welding the nut on just creates a weak spot and the shaft shears. There is only one good fix that I have heard of that lasts, already recommended.

·
Registered
2 Posts
More often then not tack welding the nut on just creates a weak spot and the shaft shears. There is only one good fix that I have heard of that lasts, already recommended.
364,000 miles on truck, spot welded nut on about 150,000 miles ago! No problems.

·
Registered
17,247 Posts
364,000 miles on truck, spot welded nut on about 150,000 miles ago! No problems.
I guess you don't know what "more often than not" means. It appears you must be one of the nots.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts