Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
let me first start of by saying i have a 1996, 3500, 4x4, manual, dually with the fuel plate removed and some pump and afc tuning. I have not gotten around to doing anything with the turbo/timing, or anything like that yet, pretty much all stock other than the plate and afc. I had recently replaced the fuel lift pump on the side of the engine because it was pissing out of the weep hole, and removed the pointless fuel heater. Truck ran great for a few days but just recently started to have power loss at higher rpms. This is what the truck does, when shifting through the gears going from 3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th, and in 5th gear itself, it will start to blow white smoke and sputter around 2300-2500 rpm. the truck still starts up with ease,and idles perfect. when free revving the truck there are no problems, it will go up to 3000 rpms with no smoke at all, once warmed up, its only under load. i does however seem to have a injector either leaking down or sticking. at an idle when cold, you can see a distinctive small puff of white/gray smoke and hear it a little bit in the exhaust, but once it warms up it goes away. the truck has done this since i have bought it about a year ago now. i do not as of yet have a fuel gauge in it yet. but it seems to me that it is losing fuel pressure, or sucking in air somewhere. I checked all the hoses thinking that maybe a clamp was loose or it had cracked or something, but everything appears normal. i have been wanting to put new injectors in it but idk if that will fix it, or if its a good idea to do in case its a fuel pressure, or worse a injection pump problem. i have a few ideas about what to do but want to get some input before getting into it and just pick some of your guys brains to maybe get my truck running right again without damaging anything, or wasting time. any insight would be greatly appreciated!

·
Sasquatch
3,886 Posts
Wait until you get the fuel pressure gauge. It could be the OFV, fuel pre-filter, lift pump or injectors like you said. There's plenty of possibilities other than fuel pressure, it's best to get your fuel pressure where it need to be first before trying to diagnose any other things. After the fuel pressure is where it's needed to be then it may be the injectors, I'd recommend just having the stock ones pop tested and balanced, if you're planning on a bigger turbo soon then you'd be better off getting new injectors. It could also be a timing issue, after ruling out all those things then it might be coolant.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just ordered a set of gauges for it, my plans are to make a well rounded truck with 20+ mpg and around 500 hp. this is a project truck so it isn't like i have to fix it right away, but i do use the truck from time to time for hauling. when i picked this rig up a year ago there were alot of issues with it, and i have gotten alot of them sorted out. but i really appreciate the quick reply and insight so now i have a direction to go in. but im curious how could the coolant cause the problems im having??

·
Sasquatch
3,886 Posts
The coolant is what was causing my issues, my head was cracked below the valve seat and after sitting for a while #6 would start taking a bath. The longer the truck sat the more white smoke it would have on start up, wasn't as bad on warm days. If the truck ran multiple times a day then it wouldn't have issues until it sat for a while. My truck also had a fuel pressure issue to go along with it. I didn't find out about the head until I took the head off. I was told by the machine shop that some people will still run their heads like that, I decided to replace my head since the price they were charging to freshen up the head was more expensive than a brand new one.

For 500 hp a 63/68/.70 non gated from CPP would be the best deal to go with, it's about the same price or a little cheaper than a Super B Single. As for injectors 5x.014 will get you there and can still give you good fuel economy when your not in the throttle. For my compounds (HX40 over HT3B) I'll be using using 5x.014 nozzles from Jamie also.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ohh gotcha, i forgot to mention that i put a new fuel filter on as well, and no leaks there either. im gonna try to do some listening with a stethoscope and see if i hear any irregularities ill let you know if i find anything.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just spent some time listening to it, and everything sounds good, i listened to each injector, the pump, and even the exhaust side of the head and all sounds very similar, a couple injectors sounded a little different #1 and #3. but they were very subtle. i took a video of if, hopefully you can he the sound im talking about in the exhaust. also if you rev it really fast it will pop and blow white smoke not under load, but if you go slow its fine. i really think its fuel pressure related.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im trying to get these vids up but its not working, ill keep trying. anyone have any other ideas?

·
Sasquatch
3,886 Posts
Upload them to Youtube, then copy the end of the url behind "v=". Then quote this post, erase my message and place the part of the URL into the Youtube tags that is seen when you quote this message. Make sure to erase the quote tags.

(insert the part you copied here)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it will be here early next week. and no gsk. did the videos work? i can't view them on mine.

·
Sasquatch
3,886 Posts
Fixed it for ya. Well not the truck, the videos.

Edit: My truck did the same thing, it'd start on the first turn no matter what. But it sputtered a heck of a lot worst when bringing the revs up until it warmed up, when it was colder it would be a lot worst and it'd be mild on warmer days.

·
Registered
148 Posts
NO GSK. If you want it to rev under load over 2200 you need the GSK kit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
okay here is what i found. i was away all weekend on a short getaway, i come back monday and i get the gauges. when i went to start the truck up to pull it in the shop it started right up but then died immediately. I cranked on it some more to and got it running but it ran like complete **** for awhile. it eventually smoothed out and was ok. I spent a bunch of time on doing the wiring really nice for all the gauges and got everything installed and working. I then bled the fuel system since i had it open to get the sender on it. got the truck to run for a little bit but never held an idle. i bled the **** out of then thing but its not getting fuel where it should be. upon closer inspection i found that the small L shaped hoes that goes from the fuel tank supply line to the lift pump (since i deleted the fuel heater) was all cracked i will post some pics. so i replaced that and bled it again. but still nothing. i know what pressure you should have when the truck is at an idle, but should it have any during cranking? and if so what? im next going to check the ofv and see what i find.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i took out the OFV last night and inspected it, i measured the spring and it was a little smaller than it should have been, so i stretched it just a little bit and put it all back together but im still getting nothing. im planing on getting an adjustable OFV but i know the one in there now should at least work. anyone got any ideas on my next move?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok guys here is what i found, finally after alot of messing around i got the truck to run and hold an idle, all the gauges work. Im at best getting just under 10 psi so i ordered an OFV to see if that will help. other than that it might be the lift pump. im going to try and mess with some shims and the spring in the one now, see if i can't maybe get it back where it should be.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts